ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Any Shape Layer Experts out there?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Constable
Any Shape Layer Experts out there?
on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:54:55 pm

Hi,
I am trying to get some inspiration to create an opening sequence for my motion graphics reel.
So, look out the net I found this..

https://vimeo.com/62998334

I love Seth Eckerts stuff, and decided I'd have a go at recreating the first few opening seconds of this reel to get the wheels turning in my brain, as Im a bit stuck on inspiration...

In the opening bit, I think he uses shape layers to achieve this, but I cannot figure out how he has managed to randomize the effect of say ..the diagonal bars that appear after 1 second or so? Or the diamond shapes that pulsate out to form a solid shape.

The circular wipes I have figured out, as a combination of rotated layer shapes stroked with repeater and trim paths functions, but I cant get anywhere near the previous bits..

Is it possible that he is using somehitng other than just layer shapes? sometiling effect, or echospace?

Any thoughts?

Many Thanks in Advance,

Eugene

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Any Shape Layer Experts out there?
on Sep 9, 2013 at 8:05:16 pm

Not an expert but decent enough to provide a few pointers -

1) Diagonal bars can be done with Repeaters and Wiggle Transform. Ensure that Wiggle Transform is applied after Repeater. Set Wiggles per Second to zero. Mess about with Wiggle's Position and Scale props.

I should add that oftentimes, it is best to create such an effect using individual Shape Contents/Layers as this provides more control.

2) The Diamonds Transition looks like a single layer effect that has been nested, duplicated, re-positioned and the in-points staggered.

Other tips -
1) Use the standard wipe transitions where applicable as these are much easier to set up.

2) creating a single instance of a layer and its transforms/effect and then duplicating, staggering in-points and off-setting positions are a routine for most of the 'busy' transitions that you see

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Eugene Constable
on Sep 10, 2013 at 1:01:31 pm

Thanks! that makes alot of sense about duplicating instances.. and I will try the wiggle transform on repeater too. Hope to find some interesting results along the way!...

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 11, 2013 at 3:21:07 am

This guy -> is pretty good too!

And don't forget the Text Tool. It's incredibly powerful and oftentimes it's much easier to animate with it. Plus it supports 3D per character animation.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Eugene Constable
on Sep 11, 2013 at 1:04:35 pm

Woah!! - that is an incredible reel, really inspirational, is the name Eckert synonymous with creating sexy motion graphics??!

Thanks for your help, I got somewhere with the shape layers.. I now have a question about cameras following lines, but I think I'll post it separately...!

Rgds,

Eugene

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]