ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

FPS dropping dramatically on .mov in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Bowman
FPS dropping dramatically on .mov in AE
on Sep 8, 2013 at 8:57:19 pm

Hi everyone, this forum has been invaluable to me as a lurker over the last year I've been learning AE. However, I am having a problem I couldn't find a solution for, even after asking the Google. I have a screen recording of a mac desktop made with QuickTime, and the frames are fine in that original video. The moment I import it into After Effects the FPS drop down to about 4, and no matter what I do, that's how it exports also. I have examples here:

(Original no problems)

(After I converted it to an MP4 in AE. The file format doesn't seem to matter, I always get the same result.)

I'm sure its something I'm not doing/doing incorrectly but after 3 hours of trying everything I can think of and about an hour looking online, I just can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help!

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: FPS dropping dramatically on .mov in AE
on Sep 8, 2013 at 10:11:46 pm

It sounds like the codec isn't playing well with AE. Try converting to a different, less compressed format before importing into AE. Depending on the format you choose, the file size may be huge but at least it should work in AE. Quicktime animation or a PNG sequence are safe bets. You can probably just export from Quicktime or use adobe media encoder or another coversion app.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Josh Bowman
Re: FPS dropping dramatically on .mov in AE
on Sep 8, 2013 at 10:37:47 pm

I would have kicked myself if it had been that easy, though at this point I'd rather kick myself than keep struggling. I converted it with Media Encoder and again (for a second copy) with VLC, and neither worked unfortunately. Using Media Encoder, the final product had really low FPS (like before). When I used VLC, it seemed to work fine until I imported it into AE, where the FPS slowed dramatically again. Thanks though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]