ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

FPS dropping dramatically on .mov in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh BowmanFPS dropping dramatically on .mov in AE
by on Sep 8, 2013 at 8:57:19 pm

Hi everyone, this forum has been invaluable to me as a lurker over the last year I've been learning AE. However, I am having a problem I couldn't find a solution for, even after asking the Google. I have a screen recording of a mac desktop made with QuickTime, and the frames are fine in that original video. The moment I import it into After Effects the FPS drop down to about 4, and no matter what I do, that's how it exports also. I have examples here:

(Original no problems)

(After I converted it to an MP4 in AE. The file format doesn't seem to matter, I always get the same result.)

I'm sure its something I'm not doing/doing incorrectly but after 3 hours of trying everything I can think of and about an hour looking online, I just can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help!

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: FPS dropping dramatically on .mov in AE
by on Sep 8, 2013 at 10:11:46 pm

It sounds like the codec isn't playing well with AE. Try converting to a different, less compressed format before importing into AE. Depending on the format you choose, the file size may be huge but at least it should work in AE. Quicktime animation or a PNG sequence are safe bets. You can probably just export from Quicktime or use adobe media encoder or another coversion app.

Erik Waluska

Return to posts index

Josh BowmanRe: FPS dropping dramatically on .mov in AE
by on Sep 8, 2013 at 10:37:47 pm

I would have kicked myself if it had been that easy, though at this point I'd rather kick myself than keep struggling. I converted it with Media Encoder and again (for a second copy) with VLC, and neither worked unfortunately. Using Media Encoder, the final product had really low FPS (like before). When I used VLC, it seemed to work fine until I imported it into AE, where the FPS slowed dramatically again. Thanks though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved