ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Randomize Mask Order

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adhish YajnikRandomize Mask Order
by on Sep 7, 2013 at 1:35:23 am

I'm trying to animate the stroke of individual characters in a text block so their outlines write-on over the course of a few seconds. I'm having an easy enough time of everything, except I'd like the characters to be drawn on in a random order, not necessarily left-to-right sequentially. I've found that changing the order of the layer masks does the trick, but as some of these text blocks are quite large and I've got a mask per character, randomizing them manually is taking a little while and not truly random (i.e. part of the write-on sequence affects characters in a seemingly random order, but others still seem left-to-right).

I was wondering if there was a script or expression to randomize the mask order in a layer or get the stroke effect to stroke randomly instead of sequentially from the top mask to the bottom.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: andomize Mask Order
by on Sep 7, 2013 at 6:37:18 pm

Nope, you've chosen to undertake something that can't be accomplished automatically. I haven't heard of this being tried before, so I doubt a script to do it exists. I fear you're on your own with this one. Hope you have a lot of time!

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adhish YajnikRe: andomize Mask Order
by on Sep 8, 2013 at 10:11:42 pm

Well, time to learn scripting then! :)

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved