ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d Shadows cast by layer styles (like outer glow)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Mullen3d Shadows cast by layer styles (like outer glow)
by on Sep 6, 2013 at 6:58:06 pm

I've been tinkering with this problem and haven't come up with anything yet - I have a 3D layer, precomped into another so that it casts a shadow on the lower layer. I'd like to apply an Outer Glow, or something like it, to that precomped object, but when I do, the shadow cast in the main comp includes all the pixels of the glow, even if they are mainly transparent such as at the edge of a feathered glow. The result is no matter how subtle the glow applied is, the shadow is always a big, uniform dark circle. Anyone have any idea how to apply an effect/ layer style that generates new pixels outside the object, and to have the 3D light respect the opacity of those pixels?

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: 3d Shadows cast by layer styles (like outer glow)
by on Sep 6, 2013 at 8:31:24 pm

try to precomp the layer with the glow. Set the pre-comp to 3d/cast shadow. It should work (softing the shadows) Though a glow, being a light effect shouldn't cast shadows IMO.

What version are you on? In cs6 it shouldn't be casting shadows at all. I guess they changed the order in which styles render.

Return to posts index

Jeremy MullenRe: 3d Shadows cast by layer styles (like outer glow)
by on Sep 7, 2013 at 1:39:17 am

Yep, the glow layer is precomped, and set to 3D/ cast shadow. That's what's giving me the big dark circle. This is AE CC.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 3d Shadows cast by layer styles (like outer glow)
by on Sep 7, 2013 at 2:31:50 am

> I guess they changed the order in which styles render.

No.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jeremy MullenRe: 3d Shadows cast by layer styles (like outer glow)
by on Sep 7, 2013 at 5:41:39 pm

No I can see the order of rendering is the same, and makes sense - it's that an exterior layer style that's been precomped, and which contains some level of transparency, isn't having that transparency passed along to subsequent comps, where the 3D shadowing is taking place. I can't seem to find a way to get that transparency to be maintained.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: 3d Shadows cast by layer styles (like outer glow)
by on Sep 9, 2013 at 12:02:50 pm

It has to be something other than the style/order. Like shadow darkness too high maybe? Because I created a 3d pre-comp of a glow styled layer and I can see the feathering of the shadow where the glow is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]