ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multiple color chroma keys in 1 shot, green and pink, Underwater!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich DenmarkMultiple color chroma keys in 1 shot, green and pink, Underwater!
by on Sep 5, 2013 at 10:00:28 pm

Hi everyone. I've been successfully chroma keying w/ AE for years. But I'm looking for advice on doing multiple keys in 1 shot. I'm currently using AE CS6, but could move to CC if refine edge would help greatly.

I know I'm most likely in for roto work, but here is what I'm after.
I want to keep the texture of the object, but I want to make the colors of this UW shot change at my will. Most likely to music. The Pink Strip should change independently of the green sections. But I should be able to make both the pink and green change colors. I see that I'm getting spill from the Green, and a little bit of edge spill from the pink.

I have the option of re-shooting if anyone thinks I can get better results than what is shown for chroma. This was shot on a Canon 5d MKIII, 1280, 60FPS, ALL-I (Shutter @ 60, aperture set to 3.2) I haven't shot much chroma with the MKIII yet, as well this is my first UW chroma.

Any advice or tips on work flow for optimum results are appreciated.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Multiple color chroma keys in 1 shot, green and pink, Underwater!
by on Sep 5, 2013 at 11:16:51 pm

I'd use the Change To Color effect.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

You may need to do some rough rotoscoping to limit the area to which the effect is applied, but you won't have to be very tight about that, since there aren't other items of the same colors in the shot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Multiple color chroma keys in 1 shot, green and pink, Underwater!
by on Sep 5, 2013 at 11:21:11 pm

Rather than a chroma key, you might have better luck with AE's Change Color (or Change Color To?) effect. To enhance your luck, you can do one color in a comp with the aid of animated garbage masks, then nest that comp and repeat the process for the other color.

You haven't picked a very easy project, I must say....

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rich DenmarkRe: Multiple color chroma keys in 1 shot, green and pink, Underwater!
by on Sep 5, 2013 at 11:46:29 pm

Thanks Dave, I always appreciate your input here on CC. Are there any tools to beef up the power of those affects? To get a more specific color selection? I started testing these tools and see some possibilities, but my inability to pick/choose to add or remove certain shades or colors is limiting. It likes to think a lot more colors are "similar" than it should.

I'll keep messing around with this idea, so far it's definitely better than a key since i'm hoping to keep the background texture.

I've also thought of trying to remove all color from the 2 object in separate layer and then to add back the colors I want.

Do you know if there are any advantages in certain situations where change color or change color to is preferred over the other?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Multiple color chroma keys in 1 shot, green and pink, Underwater!
by on Sep 6, 2013 at 1:06:43 pm

If Change to Color doesn't work for you (it should), I'd give Colorista's Secondary Color Correction a try. You could probably also use the Three Way color corrector as well. Here's a short tutorial by Andrew Devis:

http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Color-Correction-4_Secondary-Co...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Rich DenmarkRe: Multiple color chroma keys in 1 shot, green and pink, Underwater!
by on Sep 18, 2013 at 4:48:43 pm

Thanks everyone! Adobe AE "Change to Color" worked beautifully. I'll still want to do some Roto clean up but I'm very happy with the first test.

Here is a private link, https://vimeo.com/73906752 pw: CC_safediver
This will only be up for a limited time to give you guys an idea of how it turned out. Please reply to let me know you saw it. I'll take it down once you've all had a chance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]