ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Gift Box Opening

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Brown3D Gift Box Opening
by on Sep 5, 2013 at 4:13:04 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I need to animate this gift box so it looks like its opening but have no idea how, I'm sure it's a simple process if someone could give me a quick tutorial that would be great!

I've attached an image of the pack closed, and what it looks like when it's open (I can take a photo of the closed pack at the same angle as the open pack if needs be)

Thanks so much :-)

Jess

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: 3D Gift Box Opening
by on Sep 6, 2013 at 1:26:15 am

If it needs to look real, it's not a simple process. You can't just animate what you have, they're 2D images, as soon as you move them a bit, it will be obvious it's a 2D image.

If you have CS6 you could extrude some shapes, and then pin the "Your Perfect Moment" to one of the shapes. Then just animate the shapes. If you have CC, I'd build the entire thing in Cinema4D, but that's an entirely different process.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jessica BrownRe: 3D Gift Box Opening
by on Sep 6, 2013 at 8:08:40 am

Hey Johnny,

Thanks for the reply!
I've basically been flung into this job role at work that I don't know how to do and I've got people breathing down my neck to make them stuff I don't know how to make so I'm a bit of a newbie to the whole thing.

I do have CS6 but my computer always goes really slow when I used ray traced (it took me 1 hour to render a 5 second clip yesterday!) so is there any way of doing it without the ray traced 3D option on? Also are you able to be a bit more specific on which 'shapes' to extrude and a brief run-through of how I would use the pin tool in this instance? would the puppet tool be effective?

I'm so sorry for all the questions! You'd be helping me out an awful lot :-)

Thanks,

Jess

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: 3D Gift Box Opening
by on Sep 8, 2013 at 5:43:24 pm

First Jessica, being new to AE, I strongly recommend you check out Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC). There's a ton of information for beginners including free tutorials.

Ray tracing does take a lot of time if you don't have the proper video cards. Another alternative would be to use multiple solids with 3D enabled, then move each one a little bit in z-space to create depth(make it look like thick cardboard.)

Shape layers are just layers you create with the mask tools. But instead of masking a solid, you click in the comp window and create your shape. About Shape Layers

For pinning, I just meant that you would want to layer the invite your inside shape layer. In the example I've created I used your invite and precomped it, then used corner pin to reshape to fit the inside envelope shape. If you want to use what I created, I would suggest you take another picture from straight on and replace the pic I used. Depending on your system, this isn't going to be a fast render, but should render faster than using ray tracing.

I've been in your position, flung into the deep end WAY before I was ready, so if you have any questions about the project, contact me at my email, johnfcuevas@gmail.com, and I'll talk you through what I've done. Hope this helps you out.

6489_invitefolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jessica BrownRe: 3D Gift Box Opening
by on Sep 9, 2013 at 2:59:45 pm

Thanks that's so nice of you! I'll let you know how I get on :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]