ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Combining shapes and edges automatically ( hard to explain - please read on)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Moog Gravett
Combining shapes and edges automatically ( hard to explain - please read on)
on Sep 5, 2013 at 11:31:09 am

Hi chaps,
I have a unique problem for a job I'm working on.

Imagine I have 2 constantly moving layers of video in my comp, each surrounded by a fringe of a background layer controlled by matte chokers. So blobs of video with an outline of the video. With me so far? cool :)

When these 2 blobs of video approach each other, I want their fringes to automatically expand to join into one fringe (when they're 'x' amount of pixels apart.

If it helps, think about metaball animation in 3d packages.

I'm currently hand rotoing masks between these layers, but it's driving me NUTS!!! :)

Any help greatly appreciated.

BTW, I'm running the latest AE CC - just in case there's anything new and fancy I don't know about.

Thanks

Moog

+++++++++++
Freelance | Video Editor | After Effects | Camerawork

http://www.Peculiana.com
+++++++++++

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Combining shapes and edges automatically ( hard to explain - please read on)
on Sep 5, 2013 at 1:01:30 pm

Animate the masks just for the inside image blobs. Render a simple white on black pass of the animated masks. Use Find Edges ( with invert checked on most likely) to create animated edges of the moving "blobs"- this will create separate edges for the fills as long as they are apart but will combine them once they touch. Use the result as a alpha for the bk video with a matte choker to expand and finesse the edge.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Moog Gravett
Re: Combining shapes and edges automatically ( hard to explain - please read on)
on Sep 5, 2013 at 1:52:03 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

If I'm reading that right, that would create extra pixels all around the 'blobs'? Which is not really what I need.

I've attached a picture to help illustrate,

Object A and Object B travel towards each other. They are separate items with alpha channels.
When they get within 'x' pixels of each other, I want them to have a bridge pop in on the next frame. No extra pixels can be around the rest of the objects. Currently I'm animating a number of masks between a number of objects, which is less than ideal :)

I know this sounds rather picky, but it's really the only way my specific set up will work.

Hope there's some thoughts.

+++++++++++
Freelance | Video Editor | After Effects | Camerawork

http://www.Peculiana.com
+++++++++++

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]