ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

I want to distort one still image, but what is the best way in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yousuke TadokoroI want to distort one still image, but what is the best way in AE?
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 3:31:12 am

Hello. I am using After Effects CS6 and Photoshop CS6.

What I want to do is to warp a picture to fit into this red line. Plz see pictures below.

I only need to make one picture to distort. I am not editing movie, but one still image.
At first I do it in Photoshop CS6 using mesh-warp, liquify tool and puppet warp effects, but those are less flexible than AE's. So I am doing editing that I wanted to do in Photoshop in AE. AE's mesh warp is really flexible because I can add lots more rows and columns.

And I have a question. If you were me, what would you do to transform this still image?
I am not familiar with AE, so I doubt mesh-warp,liquify and puppet warp are the best way to do my job.
Give me your advice please.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: I want to distort one still image, but what is the best way in AE?
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:49:34 am

It all depends on what you are after, what is the final result you are looking for? Mesh Warp and Puppet Tool are great tools for distortion, but they are quite flat. I would use Free Form or FreeForm Pro where you can get 3d distortion and displacement as well. Here are a few links:

http://library.creativecow.net/jelescu_tudor/3D-from-2D-image_AE/1

http://library.creativecow.net/jelescu_tudor/FreeForm-Pro-review/1

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: I want to distort one still image, but what is the best way in AE?
by on Sep 3, 2013 at 5:08:27 pm

You should use the reshape effect.

Return to posts index

Yousuke TadokoroRe: I want to distort one still image, but what is the best way in AE?
by on Sep 4, 2013 at 4:22:04 am

Thank you for your info, but sorry. I only want to transform my hand-drawn painting to fit into the red line. I don't need to make it move or morph.I should have explained lot more.

I have a hand drawn painting, and I need to duplicate it and make it transform.
What I am doing now is something like a picture above.It's much simpler. My painting is lot more complicated, so I have to use After Effects, because Photoshop can't transform it perfectly due to limitations of its transform effects.
I am drawing cross-section surface of a robot, and I drawn a half part, and I duplicated it and now try to transform it to fit into other cross-section area. What do you think is the best way to do it?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: I want to distort one still image, but what is the best way in AE?
by on Sep 4, 2013 at 6:56:27 am

from your drawing I can't figure out why Photoshop would not be able to handle the distortion...
It should be a simple Distort with maybe a few Liquify touches.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: I want to distort one still image, but what is the best way in AE?
by on Sep 4, 2013 at 1:49:39 pm

My friend, what you want is exactly what reshape does. Forget about morphing or animating at all.

You tell the effect what to distort and where each part should go by defining two masks.
Quick and simple.

Return to posts index

Kevin ReinerRe: I want to distort one still image, but what is the best way in AE?
by on Sep 4, 2013 at 9:32:09 pm

I second using reshape. I think it will do what you are asking. Do a quick search for a tutorial.

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
Nvidia Quadro 4000
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

SOFTWARE
Mac OS X 10.8.4
FCP 7
Premiere CC
After Effects CC
Boris Continuum
Sapphire Plug Ins
All Trapcode Plugs
Zaxwerks Invig

Return to posts index

Yousuke TadokoroRe: I want to distort one still image, but what is the best way in AE?
by on Sep 5, 2013 at 8:39:12 pm

It's mcuh complex. Something like ,I need to distort icosagon shape and make it decagon.
Ok. I will try to use reshape tool. thank you guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]