ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering in AE CC vs AE CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Erik LindahlRendering in AE CC vs AE CS6
by on Sep 1, 2013 at 3:06:46 pm

Our company "bit the bullet" last night and got the CC subscribtion. For the heck of it I wanted to see if there where and speed changes in rendering in AE CC. Here's my findings.

- iMac 2012 3.4GHz Core i7
- 32GB RAM
- GeForce 680MX 2GB
- MacOSX 10.8.4
- 1TB Fusion drive + LaCie Thunderbolt SSD Drive

After Effects was set to use 8-cores with 2GB of RAM per core and 4GB or RAM free for other apps.

Video i/o test
Here i simply rendered a 10s 1080p25 ProRes 422 clip to a 1080p25 ProRes 422HQ clip.

AE CC 8bpp: 20s
AE C6 8bpp: 23s

AE CC 16bpp: 22s
AE C6 16bpp: 23s

Not a huge difference but CC seems a little fast in pure i/o tasks. Good!

3D Graphics and Effects
Here i rendered a comp with a total of 144 3D layers, 8 lights, a number of 2D effects and "look" layers. I use everything from masks, built-in and third-party effects - amongst others Optical Flares and FL Depth of Field. The scene is 1080p25 and I render 1 second of it.

AE CC 16bpp: 177s
AE C6 16bpp: 207s

Quite a clear "win" for CC by almost 20%. Great!

2D Comp and Effects
Here I've rendered two scenes with more "classical" 2D-comp effects. I've used a corner-pin track from Mocha via RG Corner Pin. They are not so "layer intense" but do use a few pre-comps and such. I do use relatively heavy filters for grain-matching.

AE CC 16bpp 1: 34s
AE C6 16bpp 1: 27s

AE CC 16bpp 2: 96s
AE C6 16bpp 2: 91s

Here, sadly, we see quite a clear loss from CC by up to over 20%. Bad!

The last test made me notice that AE CC stands still a lot longer on the "Initiallizing Background Processes" stage of rendering. Even though rendering speeds differed between using say 8-cores with 2GB of RAM per core vs 5-cores with 4GB of RAM per core at the end of the day CC spends way more time in this stage than CS6 does. Can anyone shed any light to why this is?

I also noticed you can remove the MP-rendering for RAM-preivews in CC which is good as this feature can bug out quite heavily in CS6. I'd rather see it work though given this is a decent quick-fix.

Last but not least redraws of the screen in the canvas is MUCH better in CC compared to CS6. Scolling in the timeline is still very sluggish.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved