ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Component Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott RobertsComponent Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2
by on Sep 1, 2013 at 1:49:18 am

I'm working on some animations in After Effects CS5.5 and have been asked to deliver files as Quicktime Component Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2. Do I simply work in 8bpc and render a Quicktime movie using Component Video under format options to achieve this?

Thanks for your help,

Scott

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Component Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2
by on Sep 1, 2013 at 1:01:49 pm

Working in 8 bit will give you less info - use 16bit or even 32 and then render to 10 bit for best results.
Just as a side note, AE uses 8,16,32 bit per channel for the color space you work in. The 10 bit from your codec refers to camera sensitivity. So rendering in Component Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2 will give you the same type of footage that a 10 bit camera would. The short of it is use AE 8bit for 8bit codecs, AE 16bit or 32bit for 10bit codecs and AE 32bit for 12bit codecs (RED RAW).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: Component Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2
by on Sep 1, 2013 at 5:01:17 pm

Another note on this subject is working in 8- or 16-bit will give you very similar image results aside from the fact 16-bit won't normally introduce banding or deteriorate greater than 8-bit codecs.

Working in 32-bit or floating point can often change how a scene is rendered - sometimes quite drastically. Good to keep in mind so you don't just edit your comp in 8-bit and switch to 32-bit during your final output.

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: Component Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2
by on Sep 1, 2013 at 8:20:23 pm

Thanks for that! So, is there any reason they would ask for a Quicktime movie using the Component Video codec vs. ProRes (HQ)? I looked at the white paper for ProRes and it appears to be the same - 10-bit, Y'CbCr 4:2:2.

LittleBlackBird.net

Return to posts index

by on Sep 1, 2013 at 8:56:15 pm

Uncompressed 10-bit 422 YUV is as the name notes not compressed.

ProRes 422HQ is visually lossless but is at its core still compressed. It does require quite a lot of generations and specific cases to really notice it though. ProRes 422HQ tends to be fine in most cases. Depending on what the source material is and what kind of post you do - ProRes 422 might be good enough

It can be added - not everyone can read ProRes or create proper ProRes files. Uncompressed is a bit more common from my experience.

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: Component Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2
by on Sep 1, 2013 at 9:54:23 pm

Thanks for your reply!

Are you saying the Component Video codec is uncompressed? I'm trying to find technical information about the codec but I'm coming up short.

I'm creating animations in AE, from still images, some vector art illustrations, sometimes incorporating stock footage (Motion JPEG B).

LittleBlackBird.net

Return to posts index

by on Sep 2, 2013 at 5:25:16 am

Well, there is a legacy codec called "Component Video". This should probably be avoided always. The codec called "Uncompressed 10-bit" is probably what you're after.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Component Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2
by on Sep 2, 2013 at 4:05:24 pm

Are you on a Mac? Got FCP? You've got the ProRes family of codecs. ProRes 422 will work nicely. So will ProRes HQ. If you need alpha channels, ProRes 4444 is the way to go.

Work in 16 or 32 bits in AE, and you're good to go.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Sep 2, 2013 at 4:09:59 pm

I think the main question was to "deliver files as Quicktime Component Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2". Otherwise I'd tend to agree, ProRes 422 / ProRes 422HQ works in 90% of the cases.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]