ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Disk Cache size

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paulo JanDisk Cache size
by on Aug 30, 2013 at 12:03:13 pm

I have my After Effects Disk Cache set to an SSD disk with 78 Gb. of free space. I tried setting the max. size of the disk cache to 80 Gb., and AE warned me that my disk didn't have enough space to store the entire disk cache. So far so good...

...except that my disk cache, which is already in my SSD, already takes up 64 Gb.; in other words, if I set the max. size to 80 Gb., it will take only 16 more Gb., and there's plenty of space in the disk for that.

Is this a bug in AE? Can't it detect the size that the disk cache is already taking up and take that into account in its calculations? (Not that this is a showstopper, I can just disable the warning, but I find it curious).

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Disk Cache size
by on Aug 30, 2013 at 3:38:16 pm

The warning is just telling you that if the contents grew to fill the size that you've allotted, then your disk would be full... and that's bad.

In fact, the warning kicks in if the space that you're allotting for the disk cache is more than 80% of your free space.

We are erring on the side of not being the rude application that fills your disk to the point of uselessness without warning.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved