ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Looping opacity across several shape layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike PlentyLooping opacity across several shape layers
by on Aug 24, 2013 at 7:06:41 am

I have a number of small, square shape layers positioned next to each other going across the screen, each set to around 50% opacity. I want a kind of 'pulsing' effect where a higher level of opacity will travel across these shape layers from left to right and then cycle round again.

Is there an easier and more flexible way to set this up other than manually keyframing the opacity on each layer and then offsetting them (maybe by using a different effect or expressions)? I want to be able to easily adjust the pace the opacity travels through the squares, add more square layers, and be able to extend the length of the animation without having to deal with an increasing number of keyframes.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Looping opacity across several shape layers
by on Aug 24, 2013 at 12:50:16 pm

You could just create a luma matte precomp. If you use the loopOut("cycle") you would only need 2 keyframes, and if you want to change the timing, just adjust those and it would update automatically.

I made a quick example project.

For more control of the pulses, you might want to try the expressions forum for a different approach to the problem.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Mike PlentyRe: Looping opacity across several shape layers
by on Aug 27, 2013 at 2:52:55 pm

Thanks! That makes sense.

I need to try and set it up so the squares light up one by one, and then fade back down to the original level - I've managed the first bit by using toggle hold keyframes on the position of the luma matte (not sure if that's the best way though) but can't figure out an easy way to fade them back down

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved