ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects and file paths

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil KidneyAfter Effects and file paths
by on Aug 22, 2013 at 2:17:49 pm

Hey folks,

In the past have done a huge job with 3D renders, comps, all dynamically linked into Premiere etc.

The client has come back and wants to make a few tweaks all the way back in the 3D phase. Now in a perfect world, I'd duplicate the whole job folder, make the few changes in 3D, render overwriting the existing files, then let those new renders propogate all the way through to the comp and then to the linked Premiere edit.

My question is, does AE use absolute file paths, or relative eg. will it pull all its source files from the new duplicated project folder or is it hard coded to the old one.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: After Effects and file paths
by on Aug 22, 2013 at 3:09:56 pm

It's not hard coded to the old one, if you have the same basic structure, AE generally will find stuff. IE...if you your project was at the top level of a folder, and inside that folder was another folder labeled "Video Asset", if you use that same convention elsewhere, AE will find your asset.

Even if it doesn't find it, just double click the missing asset and point to it. If there are other missing assets at the same location, AE will reload those too.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved