ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Out of memory error: how to save composition?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paulo JanOut of memory error: how to save composition?
by on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:02:55 pm

Hi all:

I have a project with a composition where today I changed a couple of things and added a few expressions (nothing too complicated: just measuring a light's speed in a given moment to control its intensity). I close the project... and when I try to open it again, AE crashes with an "Out of memory" error, identical to the one described here:

In that thread, Todd Kopriva already acknowledged that it was a bug... so all I have to do now is to see if I can salvage my project and avoid redoing the work of the last 3 days.

I have managed to create a new, empty project, import into it my former project and save it as an XML file. The problem is that, as soon as I open or even right-click on the problematic composition, AE crashes again. I'm pretty sure that it's all due to the expressions I added today, so my question now is: how can I disable those expressions without opening the comp they are in?

I have opened the XML file with a text editor, and I can find the layer where the expressions are by searching for the layer name... but everything in it is binary data. Does anyone know... erm, which parts of that binary data to touch in order to disable an expression?

Alternatively, is there a global switch in AE to disable expression execution?

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Out of memory error: how to save composition?
by on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:35:18 pm

Hi Paulo

----- if you have not tried this already suggest you purge all memory and image cache memory -- then also delete all cache files manually - also maybe reboot for good measure...........

................ worth a try.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Out of memory error: how to save composition?
by on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:58:12 pm

The Caps Lock key prevents rendering, so that may do the trick to avoid the error long enough for you to disable the expression.

You don't say which version you're using. The crash mentioned on the thread that you linked to is fixed in After Effects CC (12.0).

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Paulo JanRe: Out of memory error: how to save composition?
by on Aug 22, 2013 at 11:20:47 am

Thanks to both. This was all happening in CS6 on Windows 7, and in the end, I managed to get to a Mac with AE installed. I opened the project there... and whew, it worked. I disabled the expressions, saved again, and problem solved.

I hadn't thought of this solution at first because, since it was a bug in AE, I assumed that it would occur in every version.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved