ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

ae puppet tool emergency

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather Hassae puppet tool emergency
by on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:45:28 am

I fear I may have ruined a year and a half's work just a few moments ago. I really hope there is an easy fix that someone can help me out with.

I have these drawings that I scanned into Photoshop where I colored them, brought them into AE, and animated them. They are characters with separate arms, legs, heads, pants, shirts and feet.
In addition to animating using the orientation tool, I have used the puppet tool to bend different parts of the bodies.

Tonight as I was making my very final touches, I decided that I would be ambitious and go back into photoshop and really clean up the few pixels that were still on the edges of my files. When I reload the files in AE, everything that has been using a puppet tool is broken.

There is a head, for example that was a whole head before, and after I reloaded the new psd, half the head moves and the other half stays put as if i just sliced it.

Tried restarting ae and it wont work. now I cant go back becuase I didnt rename my photoshop files, I just saved the original files as is, because I didnt want to have to go back into ae and reload all the new names. Now I wish I had my old files.

The thing I dont get is how this could be sooooo off. All I did to my photoshop files was take a few pixels off around all the edges of my characters. Is there something I am missing???

Any help would be appreciated, I have been working on this music video for a very long time and I am pretty scared I ruined it.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: ae puppet tool emergency
by on Aug 21, 2013 at 6:34:38 am

Try expanding your mesh for Puppet Tool- that may help.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: ae puppet tool emergency
by on Aug 21, 2013 at 9:22:56 am

Did you crop off the edges of your files, or erase pixels at the edges ...? If you cropped, what happens if you try restoring the psds to their previous sizes, though now with blank space at the edges ...? Of course you might want to make copies - sve your AE file and make a new one with a save as new name, and add a test suffix to your psd names and use them as replacements for your original files.

If you wanted to test not on your master file, another way might be to make a simple puppet tool test file using a psd, then try doing whatever you did to your project psds to that test file and reload in AE - if that shows the same issue, you may have identified the problem. Whether restoring psd pixel size would work as a fix would have to be tested.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved