ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Photoshop 80 pt text larger than After Effects 80 pt text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris VargasPhotoshop 80 pt text larger than After Effects 80 pt text
by on Aug 20, 2013 at 5:52:31 pm

I'm having to recreate titles in Photoshop that had been done in After Effects.

In a 1920x1080 project in AE, I have some text set in 80 point.

However, if I try to create 80 point text in a 1920x1080 Photoshop file, it's too big. I have to scale it 80% and make it 64 point instead.

My question: why isn't 80 point text 80 point text in both? (I'll note that 80% is a suspiciously even scaling amount so I'm probably forgetting something. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Photoshop 80 pt text larger than After Effects 80 pt text
by on Aug 20, 2013 at 6:11:06 pm

Points are a physical measurement of distance, independent of an image's size in pixels. There are 72 points in an inch; a point is thus equivalent to 1/72 of an inch.

After Effects always measures type in pixels, not points. Ae has no concept of physical size.

Photoshop can measure type in either points or pixels. This is set in Photoshop > Preferences > Units & Rulers under Units > Type.

If your Photoshop document's resolution is set to 72dpi (no matter what its width and height measure in pixels), then points and pixels will be the same. If your Photoshop document's resolution is set to something else (again, irrespective of its size), then points and pixels will differ accordingly.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris VargasRe: Photoshop 80 pt text larger than After Effects 80 pt text
by on Aug 20, 2013 at 6:27:59 pm

Thanks for the very quick reply. I follow what you're saying, but let me describe what I'm doing and maybe you can figure out where I'm going wrong.

* Since I need to match the After Effects version of the credit, I do a Composition->Save Frame As->Photoshop Layers... from one of my credit comps.

* In that credit comp, there is 60 pixel (not point, thank you for that, I should have remembered the difference) text that I need to match.

* I bring the Photoshop export into Photoshop. The text is visible but not editable. So I bring out my text tool to create text, after changing Preferences->Units and Rulers->Type to Pixels instead of Points.

* If I create new text, even though in Photoshop it says 60 pixels, the text is too large. I have to change it to 48 pixels to match my AE exported guide.

Resolution of the document in Photoshop is 72 pixels/inch.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2013 at 6:38:00 pm

I followed your steps and my type matches.

Have you set the scale property of the text layer in Ae to 80%, or have you adjusted the vertical and/or horizontal scale in Ae's Character panel? Neither would change what Ae reports as the type's size, but either could result in the scaling you're describing.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2013 at 6:45:27 pm

Pushing the text back in 3D space would also make it smaller in 2D than reported.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris VargasRe: Photoshop 80 pt text larger than After Effects 80 pt text
by on Aug 20, 2013 at 6:48:03 pm

Well son of a bleep. You got it. They set the scale INEXPLICABLY to 80 percent.

THANKS!!! I really appreciate it and might even get a good night's sleep tonight.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]