ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to Upgrade Legacy After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David C. ScottHow to Upgrade Legacy After Effects
by on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:25:49 pm

I own and have installed on my iMac (running Mountain Lion) a copy of After Effects CS5 (ver. 10.0.2.4). I also have a retail upgrade package to 7.0 Professional but the upgrade keeps failing. Thinking that perhaps I needed to update the CS5 version, I tried via the app's "Updates" option but I keep getting the message "Update Failed -- You are already running the Adobe Application Manger. Please close all instances of Adobe Application Manager before applying updates." However, if I quit Adobe Application Manager, I simply get the same error message about quitting and I'm back where I started. I just finished a brief "live chat" with Adobe and am informed that CS5 and 7 are no longer supported. I'm a Creative Cloud subscriber for Photoshop-only but that doesn't help. Is there a way I can upgrade my legitimately-purchased and very expensive legacy copies of After Effects?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: How to Upgrade Legacy After Effects
by on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:53:37 pm

> I also have a retail upgrade package to 7.0 Professional but the upgrade keeps failing.

Are you aware that After Effects 7.0 is a very old version---about 8 years old? If you're trying to upgrade from After Effects CS5 (10.0) to After Effects 7.0, you're going the wrong direction; that's why the upgrade is failing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

David C. ScottRe: How to Upgrade Legacy After Effects
by on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:51:26 am

Oh, man, am I embarrassed. Thanks for setting me straight, even though I feel quite foolish. Have had both packages for ages and never needed them until I acquired a Phantom quad-copter and wanted to use the "warp stabilizer" feature that, I believe, first became available in AE 5.5. So, I guess I'm now wondering if there is any way for me to "upgrade" from 5.0 to 5.5, now that Creative Cloud is here and Adobe doesn't support these legacy applications. I really do appreciate your response.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How to Upgrade Legacy After Effects
by on Aug 20, 2013 at 3:32:54 pm

[David C. Scott] "So, I guess I'm now wondering if there is any way for me to "upgrade" from 5.0 to 5.5, now that Creative Cloud is here and Adobe doesn't support these legacy applications."

Adobe still sells After Effects CS6.

Go to Adobe.com, click the Buy button, type "After Effects CS6" in the search box, then click the "Buy" button underneath the search pop-up for Ae CS6.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2013 at 4:37:36 pm

Thanks very much. I was under the impression AE was exclusively part of the Creative Cloud now but, I admit, beyond Photoshop, I haven't paid much attention to the rest of the apps -- until this week.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2013 at 4:39:30 pm

[David C. Scott] "Thanks very much. I was under the impression AE was exclusively part of the Creative Cloud now but, I admit, beyond Photoshop, I haven't paid much attention to the rest of the apps -- until this week."

Going forward, it is. After Effects CC (v12.0) is the current version, and is only available by subscription.

However, Adobe is still selling perpetual licenses for Creative Suite CS6 and After Effects CS6 (v11.0) along with it.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:11:09 pm

Deep down in the menus I finally found it. $999 with no "upgrade" option that I easily could see. I think I will pass but thanks for your correspondence. Like lots of others, I have spent a ton of money with Adobe over the years and while I've agreed to pay 10 bucks a month for Photoshop (first year, then $20), I'm still pondering the wisdom (for me) of $50 per month for the whole suite. It's a lot to pay if one only wants one feature in one other app.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:30:41 pm

[David C. Scott] "Deep down in the menus I finally found it. $999 with no "upgrade" option that I easily could see."

Your upgrade from AE CS5 should be $350. Here's how to navigate the website:

How to navigate Adobe.com for AE CS6 upgrade [link]

Hope that helps.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:34:31 pm

Whoa! Your help is well above and beyond the call of forum duty! Thanks very much. $350 is much more palatable than $999. I will study the many links in which Phantom quad-copter owners have processed video through the Warp Stabilizer feature to see if it will be worth it. I'm inclined to think "yes." Again, I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2013 at 11:21:02 pm

Glad to help.

If you just want stabilization, I've heard good things about proDAD Mercalli stabilizer [link]. There's a trial so you can see if it works on your footage.

However, Ae CS6 has a load of other improvements over CS5 besides the warp stabilizer, notably including the global performance cache and ray-tracing renderer as well as ongoing bug-fix support from Adobe, so depending on what you need it may still be the better choice.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:45:49 pm

I've decided to upgrade my Creative Cloud membership from Photoshop-only to the full suite. This gets me the latest version of After Effects. I'll also check out proDAD Mercalli. Your suggestions have been very helpful. The DJI Phantom and GoPro Hero3 combo is terrific but I want rock solid video, if possible. I'm on the right path, I think, with various physical stabilization accessories and adjustments, including a Zenmuse gimbal still on backorder. But on-line posters suggest that AE's Warp Stabilizersometimes is a helpful part of the mix.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]