ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Suggestions for Light Stream Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anie Miles
Suggestions for Light Stream Effect
on Aug 19, 2013 at 7:22:00 pm

I was given a project recently to animate an intro video to match some existing still art. Here is a link to a particular layer in the still image: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3736/9549801860_6326c08e3e_o.png

Unfortunately, the artist did not provide individual layers for each of the ribbons or even the colors. And while I am sure I can recreate them precisely in Illustrator and import the paths, there has to be a quicker way to approximate the effect. I have checked out several tutorials about animated ribbons or light streaks that might achieve this effect, but most seem to use Trapcode which I don't have access to. Does anyone have ideas for how to generate and animate this effect?

I appreciate any ideas, thank you!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Suggestions for Light Stream Effect
on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:42:35 pm

well, honestly? what would cost you more? a day, maybe two at work or a Trapcode Form license? Cause that reference image is pretty much a Form Preset.

If I ABSOLUTLY HAD to recreate, I would start with some simple curved strokes spreaded on Z, low opacity, blending mode set to "add". some glow. (for the look)

Can you be more specific on the animation? May I'll figure out something doable

Return to posts index

Anie Miles
on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:23:33 pm

Thank you for the reply Cassius, yeah, if it were up to me I'd just buy it. I'll leave it at, I can't purchase anything for the work machines out of pocket and they're not going to buy it for us.

As for possible solutions, I was actually thinking along the same lines. Like a stroke effect or an animated path on a super huge comp, duplicated and moved around for the stacked line effect.

The animation can really be any interpretation of that still image. What I had in mind was very simple, the ribbon / lines shoot across the screen from the glowing-star origin point. I've already set up a Particle World base for the star mass explosion but I haven't found a good solution for the ribbons. I may try to the stroke / path ideas in the morning tomorrow.

Thanks again. :)

Return to posts index

Anie Miles
on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:25:42 pm

Thank you for the reply Cassius, yeah, if it were up to me I'd just buy it. I'll leave it at, I can't purchase anything for the work machines out of pocket and they're not going to buy it for us.

As for possible solutions, I was actually thinking along the same lines. Like a stroke effect or an animated path on a super huge comp, duplicated and moved around for the stacked line effect.

The animation can really be any interpretation of that still image. What I had in mind was very simple, the ribbon / lines shoot across the screen from the glowing-star origin point. I've already set up a Particle World base for the star mass explosion but I haven't found a good solution for the ribbons. I may try to the stroke / path ideas in the morning tomorrow.

Thanks again. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]