ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Local Axis for numeric camera moves.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Vane
Local Axis for numeric camera moves.
on Aug 15, 2013 at 5:18:28 pm

Is there a way to have LOCAL AXIS control for the camera and objects? So by dragging the coordinate values and NOT by dragging inside a viewport. Don't say parenting: it creates a rig arm when you move of the null.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Local Axis for numeric camera moves.
on Aug 15, 2013 at 7:16:40 pm

Well, if I understand correctly it needs to be a Null, just be careful with the parenting. Post more details on the project - a screenshot of your setup and a better explanation of what you're trying to achieve may be necessary.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Geoff Vane
on Aug 16, 2013 at 12:30:35 pm

It's not about a specific rig. It's just that the ae cam is very amateurish compared to a 3D application camera.

What I need is just a function where you get numeric local axis movement when you press a certain key. I don't like dragging in the viewport.

The three functions Local, World and Viewport only work in the viewport when you grab the vectors.

Any null option tested, will create an arm between the rotation option and the local axis trick.

I found the camera tools from the menu are the best workaround: they are always local.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 16, 2013 at 10:05:14 pm

As I said, it all depends on how you set the Null. Check out this camera rig tutorial:
http://maltaannon.com/articles/after-effects/simple-camera-rig/

I often use camera rigs with slider controls on an Adjustment Layer. They are quite precise.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Geoff Vane
on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:37:25 am

Well there is no project. I just want a camera that can slide along its own local axis, without going into the viewport.

You can parent the camera to a null. When the null is rotated, the camera keeps sliding along its local axis. However, the null can't be moved numerically along its local axis when rotated (same as an unparented camera can't) so you replicate the problem. Plus, moving the camera itself along its local axis, creates a distance i.e. arm to the null which disturbs easy rotating.

Return to posts index

Geoff Vane
on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:38:15 am

And the "tutorial" seems to use something you must buy.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 19, 2013 at 12:27:06 pm

You only need to buy the more complex rig if you don't want to replicate yourself what the tutorial teaches. If you just follow along and replicate the instructions you'll get a simple camera rig that can then be improved. The trick to avoid creating a "arm" with the Null is to position the camera at the center ( 0 on all axis for Position) before you link it's properties to various Nulls.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]