ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Time Remapping issue (missing frame?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil RadTime Remapping issue (missing frame?)
by on Aug 14, 2013 at 9:24:15 pm

I have created an animation that is 40f long and I want to loop it. I placed the animated Comp in my main Comp, added Time Remap with an expression of loopOut(type = "cycle", numKeyframes = 0)
I lengthened the animation out so it loops and it does it just fine but at every 40th frame, it disappears for one frame and loops again. I have no idea what is going on and it's driving me nuts.

Any idea?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Time Remapping issue (missing frame?)
by on Aug 15, 2013 at 3:20:56 am

Show a screenshot of your composition, being especially careful to show your time remapping keyframes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Phil RadRe: Time Remapping issue (missing frame?)
by on Aug 15, 2013 at 1:24:06 pm

Here's the sequence (character is blurred on purpose for this example).

38f:

39f:

40f (goes blank):

41f (starts the loop again):

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Time Remapping issue (missing frame?)
by on Aug 15, 2013 at 6:26:21 am

[Phil Rad] "I lengthened the animation out so it loops and it does it just fine but at every 40th frame, it disappears for one frame and loops again. I have no idea what is going on and it's driving me nuts."

Go to the last keyframe on the time-remapping property. Then go back one frame (a shortcut key for this is Page Up). Add a keyframe there then remove the last keyframe.

Make sure you do it in that order or it'll mess up the time-remapping good.

As far as I can recall this issue never occurred in older versions of AE but appeared sometime around CS4... or maybe that's just when I started noticing it :)

The last frame of a 40 frame composition is frame 39 (since the frames start from 0) but the time-remapping creates the last keyframe with a value of 40.

This behavior only causes problems with compositions as the last frame of a footage item (movie) is simply repeated once the time re-mapping moves beyond it.

To fully fix the loop you'll also need to copy the first time-remapping keyframe and paste it one frame in front of itself.

Gee, while I'm thinking about this maybe I should file this as a bug :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Phil RadRe: Time Remapping issue (missing frame?)
by on Aug 15, 2013 at 1:25:07 pm

It's odd that I changed the expression to loopOut(type = "cycle", 0) and it seems as if issue went away???

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Time Remapping issue (missing frame?)
by on Aug 19, 2013 at 2:58:36 am

That is odd because that expression should evaluate to literally the exact same thing as your original expression :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]