ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to animate a "pop-up" text reveal in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jackie ZiesemerHow to animate a "pop-up" text reveal in AE
by on Aug 13, 2013 at 4:12:39 pm

I'm just learning to use After Effects for some video projects that have been assigned to me at work.

I've been looking at videos for cool ideas, and I really like some of the styles used in this video: http://demoduck.com/portfolio/pushlocal-stop-motion-animation/

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to do the following:

1. (0:00- 0:04) How to get objects to "pop in" in like the 'like' symbols and facebook posts are doing.

1. (0:05-0:08) How to get each letter of a word to fly in, letter by letter, to form the complete word. Would using paths be the best way? Or is there an easier way to do this?

2. (1:00-1:06) How to get my text to "pop-up" in a similar way. As though it's 'rising up' out of nothing, or from behind an invisible barrier.

Thank you so much for your help!

Return to posts index

Jackie ZiesemerRe: How to animate a "pop-up" text reveal in AE
by on Aug 13, 2013 at 4:45:32 pm

Update! I've figured out an easy way to "pop up" (my question for #3). Now I just need help with the other two...

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to animate a "pop-up" text reveal in AE
by on Aug 13, 2013 at 5:21:03 pm

The symbols popping can be done by animating the scale and adding a little overshoot. Maybe there's an easier way, but it's pretty quick to just adjust the handles in the graph editor like so:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: How to animate a "pop-up" text reveal in AE
by on Aug 13, 2013 at 5:49:12 pm

Since you've got the answer to #3 and John's covered #1, here's an AEP to that covers #2 6399_texttoolwigglyselectorexample.zip

The Text Tool's Wiggly Selector will do the trick nicely and quickly. The key components are keyframing the Max and Min values and setting values for the Text Animator Property, Position.

You should checkout Andrew Devis' COW Tutorials on using AE's Text Tool. Lastly, since you're new to AE, please use the COW's AW Newbies forum for future posts that cover basic AE Qs - http://forums.creativecow.net/adobeaftereffectsbasics

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2013 at 6:12:38 pm

Wow, I really need to look into the wiggly selector, nicely done Roland.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: How to animate a "pop-up" text reveal in AE
by on Aug 13, 2013 at 7:49:20 pm

Thanks John. It's really useful for random stuff. Switching off the Wiggles/Second property by setting it to zero allows for smooth randomness - this, I think, is what makes it so useful.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2013 at 2:21:22 pm

Thanks for your help, both of you! :)

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2013 at 12:15:46 pm

Glad I could contribute.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2013 at 4:17:40 pm

Hello,

So I've been having trouble using the Wiggly Selector, as you suggested... I've gotten the letters to fly around really well, but I can't seem to figure out how to get them to settle into place at the end to form the complete word. They just keep flying around everywhere.

I've tried adding keyframes to the Position of the Wiggly Selector, but I must be doing it wrong, because it still doesn't work...

Would you be able to explain step-by-step how to do this, please? Or could you point me to a relevant tutorial? Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]