ae cs4 running on 2x xeon quad machine

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacek Ryś
ae cs4 running on 2x xeon quad machine
on Aug 12, 2013 at 5:41:00 pm

having 4gb ram and winxp 64bit version.

so slow!

rendering times are not so bad, but working on a single frame, rendering working view times are so long while cpu usage is only 12 percent! probably using only 1 core.

when it comes to final rendering it is much better: 85 percent cpu usage, all cores running.

but editing is so painful. is that some solution possible?

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
Re: ae cs4 running on 2x xeon quad machine
on Aug 12, 2013 at 6:34:22 pm

Turn of multi-processor in preferences while working in the timeline. Turn them back on when rendering.

Try switching between Open GL and Adaptive resolution for your canvas display settings... see what works best on your machine.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 12, 2013 at 7:30:38 pm

4 GB of RAM is very, very little for Ae.

CS4 is 32-bit, so each instance of AE can only access 4 GB each -- but the multiprocessing feature allows you to render multiple frames at the same time, each in its own process, with each process requiring its own RAM. You can use your CPUs more effectively in AE if you purchase more RAM for this system. For an eight-core system, consider 32 GB.

See the AE CS4 help for Improve performance [link] for more tips like the one Mathew has already given you.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 12, 2013 at 8:10:50 pm

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jacek Ryś
on Aug 14, 2013 at 4:07:32 pm

thank you guys. my very recent experience show my ae works faster without Multithreading option at all.

my performance monitor looks so poor, below 30 percent overall cores at rendering time, or below 10 percent when working on timeline. poor. is realy lack of memory main bottleneck problem in this? cannot believe it.

i should switch to 5.5 or 6, i know, but im running xp64bit now and changing system takes time, im in hurry in a deadline project now.

are there some optimizer apps or tools to run in the background in my system and help ae to distribute computing to all cores effectively to make my machine work 100% power? or maybe some bios settings to join the cores virtually? the machine is dell 5400 workstation.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 14, 2013 at 4:15:46 pm

[Jacek Ryś] "my performance monitor looks so poor, below 30 percent overall cores at rendering time, or below 10 percent when working on timeline. poor. is realy lack of memory main bottleneck problem in this? cannot believe it."

Your first goal should be fastest render time. That does not always mean 100% CPU utilization.

Yes, lack of main memory is really the problem here. 4 GB is nothing. With the multiprocessing option turned on, After Effects launches multiple copies of its renderer. They cannot share memory -- each one requires its own RAM. If it can't get enough RAM, the system will swap RAM out to hard disk, then back in, then back out, then back in...

If you get more RAM in there (and since you have WinXP-64, your system can address more than 4 GB of RAM), then you can turn on multiprocessing, pushing your CPU utilization up and rendering faster. Because each instance of the renderer will have more RAM, it will not have to swap out to the hard disk, avoiding the grinding problem of memory starvation and swapping you are facing now.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jacek Ryś
on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:20:53 pm

solved. the reason for low performance was lack of proper driver for the machine chipset (dell precision workstation 5400). after installation ae runs 3 times faster and smoothly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]