ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Question about color correcting 5K footage.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina SargsyanQuestion about color correcting 5K footage.
by on Aug 12, 2013 at 1:26:51 am

Hey all,

I'm currently working on a film shooting 5K red epic shots and a lot of 1080 HD footage's. Now we want to export the final product as a 2K film, what steps should I take in color correcting, should I color correct and edit the footage as 5K and then render as 2K, or should I take the 5K render it to 2K and the color correct and edit the footage ?

Advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Question about color correcting 5K footage.
by on Aug 12, 2013 at 3:34:30 am

Generally the film, from the beginning, is converted to an intermediate/mezzanine codec like ProRes or Avid DNxHD and is traditionally HD (1080x1920 as this is Avid's highest resolution).

These intermediate files are then edited. Once editing is locked, the film is split into "reels" of about 15 minutes. Why? If you have to re-edit a portion then you only need to change a piece of what is going to the next step of post, rather than possibly disturbing edits within the timeline of the entire film.

Once in reels, footage is organized and sent to audio, vfx, and so on. Once these steps are finished, the film is ready for "finishing".

Finishing will happen in applications like Scratch, Baselight, Speedgrade, or Resolve amongst others. They're commonly considered color grading apps although the toolsets are more extensive.

The edit is then matched with the original 5K edits or, in the case of visual effects 2K renders, replacing the original intermediate HD video from the first step. Footage is then color graded and exported to the finished 2K result.

That's in a nutshell, as some films will have multiple post steps going on at the same time.

Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved