ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering issue with h.264

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John HeimerRendering issue with h.264
by on Aug 10, 2013 at 7:52:28 pm

Basically, I'm making a video in 720p and want to render in HD h.264 format. I chose the QuickTime Movie option, and h.264 compression type.

I get this error:

But, when I try to use h.264 as an option, it's not there!
These are the other options I have.

Return to posts index

David FuchsRe: Rendering issue with h.264
by on Aug 10, 2013 at 10:22:55 pm

Which version of After Effects are you using? I know in CC the H.264 option is gone because Adobe expects you to use the infernal Media Encoder.

Return to posts index

John HeimerRe: Rendering issue with h.264
by on Aug 10, 2013 at 10:34:05 pm

Yeah..I have CS4, that might be the reason why. I don't have the money to upgrade right now, as what I do is only a hobby.

Return to posts index

David FuchsRe: Rendering issue with h.264
by on Aug 10, 2013 at 10:37:13 pm

Well, you probably shouldn't be doing H.264 renders directly out from After Effects; it tends to do a poor job, especially since it can't do multipass (or at least it couldn't in CS4.) Exporting out as a lossless file and then encoding in Media Encoder or your application of choice will result in a much nicer result.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Rendering issue with h.264
by on Aug 11, 2013 at 2:42:43 am

David, nothing is gone. H.264 is just turned off in the default state. You can turn it back on.

from "what's new and changed in After Effects CC (12.0)":

"removed H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV formats from the default state of the After Effects render queue: In general, you should use Adobe Media Encoder to create output in these formats that have been deprecated from the After Effects render queue. If you need to be able to export these formats directly from After Effects, you can re-enable them by setting the preference Show Deprecated Formats In Output Module Settings in the Output preferences category."

Why do you refer to AME as "infernal". It is _much_ better than After Effects at making H.264 files.

If you have bugs to report, please do so here:
http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering issue with h.264
by on Aug 11, 2013 at 2:52:38 am

Are you exporting or using the AE Render Queue?

Even more importantly, do you have Adobe Media Encoder also installed? For AE 9, I would render -- using the Render Queue, of course -- A Quicktime movie in the PNG Codec. I would then Use Adobe Media Encoder to do the transcoding to H.264.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]