ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Change shadow color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Schela
Change shadow color
on Aug 10, 2013 at 9:32:48 am

hello,

I am wondering, whether one can change the shadow color of a cast shadow of a 3D textlayer.
In detail I need this dark shadow to be white or at least brighter. (actually I want to create text which is just visible by its shadows by the surrounding light source)
I already tried precomposing then collapsing and applying invert, change hue, tint etc. but none of it works.
I assume the reason is that though precomposing the shadow is still casted from the precomposed collapsed 3D layer. So it doesn't change anything.

thank you for any thoughts on that.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Change shadow color
on Aug 10, 2013 at 6:34:53 pm

If you don't collapse transformations you should be able to apply Invert and have it work as expected.

If that won't work, could you turn off "casts shadows" for the light and just use a drop shadow effect (or a copy of the layer) colored white?

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Sarah Schela
on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:29:54 am

thank you for the reply!
so far I tried out, but I need to collapse the text layer to still be 3D in the composition otherwise there is no shadow.

Yeah, I thought about taking drop shadow as a solution but then it isn't reactive to the light source and you have to animate the shadow direction manually. (as far as I know it's quite difficult to link the 3D light source to the drop shadow direction property via expression.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 11, 2013 at 6:39:14 pm

You can use the light transmission property to change the color of a shadow. Create a duplicate of the text layer and change the color to be what you want your shadow color to be. Press AA and change "Cast Shadows" to "Only" and turn off shadows on the visible layer. Now adjust the light transmission of the layer to 100%(adjust to taste) and your shadows should be casting a color.

Here's a relatively simple project demonstrating the technique: 6394_coloredshadows.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Sarah Schela
on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:34:26 am

thank you John, for your reply!
I tried different things with the light transmission, but it doesn't work properly with the white on black bg.
I followed your description and have one question: what do you mean with "turn off the shadows on the visible layer" in this sentence? maybe the original text layer? ->
"...change "Cast Shadows" to "Only" and turn off shadows on the visible layer"
unfortunately I am working on mac so I couldn't open your example file..

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 12, 2013 at 11:52:01 am

Sorry if I wasn't clear. You will need two text layers. The top layer will be just the text, press AA and and for Cast Shadows, change it to "off". The bottom layer will be your shadow caster, this is the layer that you want to change the text color. This layer for Cast Shadows you will change it to "Only"

Here's what I created:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Sarah Schela
on Aug 14, 2013 at 5:23:18 pm

edit:
ah, sorry I got the problem. I wondered how to achieve a dark BG and white shadow, but actually the problem was simply solved by putting on the falloff of the light. so I got a white BG (and not a black one) which appears black because it is not lit by the light, it's only brighter on the part where the light is. so it's no white shadow on black, but black shadow on white which is the most natural thing.
i confused myself, I suppose.
but thank you anyway for your kind support!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]