ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Disappearing layers and crashing project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Jones
Disappearing layers and crashing project
on Aug 10, 2013 at 1:34:45 am

Been fighting AE CS6 for hours today... First there was a project that would cause a crash when I clicked on any comp. I figure there's either a few corrupted comps or a corrupted plugin that a bunch of comps are using.

Now issue #2 -- when I open a "safe" project, and open any comp, all the layers are gone!

I've tried importing the project into another project -- I was at least able to salvage 3/4 of my comps that way -- either not corrupted or not using a certain plugin. However, this didn't fix it for all the comps.

I've deleted the preferences, cleared the caches and database, and even did a complete uninstall and reinstall of After Effects CS6 and all my plugins (I use all of Red Giant's plugins and a large number from FxFactory). The issues persist.

My system:
iMac 27" (Mid 2011) Quad i7 3.4 GHz, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD 6970M 1024MB
OS 10.7.5, AE 11.0.0.378, Red Giant and FXFactory at latest versions.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gray.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Disappearing layers and crashing project
on Aug 10, 2013 at 1:48:49 am

Hey Gray, the first thing that comes to mind is that you may have some footage in your project that uses a codec that you don't have installed on your computer. i recently ran into a similar problem with XDcam footage that would cause a crash instantly when I would try to import any clips that used that codec. If you are using the XDCam footage try installing the trial version of the "calibrated Q" decoder. The footage will have a watermark, but at least it won't crash AE.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Aug 10, 2013 at 1:56:38 am

Thanks... Actually I am only using ProRes.

I had thought it might be corrupted footage that was doing it, as even clicking on a footage clip in the project would cause a crash. However, when I took the clips into FCP, applied a 3-way color corrector (neutral) to force FCP to rebuild every frame, exported the clips with the same file names, and then re-opened AE (linked to the fresh versions), the problems persisted.

Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Aug 10, 2013 at 2:05:13 am

Maybe you could try moving your video clips to a different location so that after effects can't find them. Obviously, the project will open with a lot of missing footage, but if it doesn't crash then you will know that it is the footage that is causing the problem.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Aug 10, 2013 at 2:36:56 am

WEIRD!

OK, first I did what you suggested (moving the footage so AE couldn't find it), and it did indeed fix the crashes.

But after tons of testing, it appears that the issue is not with these particular clips -- my After Effects can no longer handle ProRes! Nor Photo JPEG. I tried creating a brand new project, and imported ProRes and Photo JPEG clips from various drive volumes and projects -- any one of them would make AE crash!

The only type of clip that doesn't make it crash at the moment is H264.

Does this make sense to anyone? Maybe a Quicktime issue? Or perhaps when I only uninstalled AE (as compared to uninstalling the whole Adobe suite) there were corrupted components that weren't removed?

- G

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Aug 10, 2013 at 3:14:11 am

Sorry man, I'm at a loss, not sure what the problem could be. The only thing I can think to do is to try uninstalling/re-installing quicktime and see if that does it.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Aug 11, 2013 at 3:42:15 am

Still pulling my hair out.

After doing more online research, I believe it is an issue with QT32 Server crashing.

Adobe has a document here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/08/solutions-for-problems-with-qui...

But... nothing I tried there will work. I literally tried completely removing all Quicktime components except for ProRes and rebooting, and the issue persists.

The only thing I know for sure is that the issues started sometime after I installed Avid Symphony 6.5. Since then, I have had weird issues with my Presonus Mobile, so it wouldn't surprise me if Avid is conflicting with other stuff too.

I should mention that I have a Decklink Studio (latest drivers) and a Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max both installed on my system, with a Magma Thunderbolt enclosure. I tried completely uninstalling the Matrox, and then installing the latest drivers, and neither fixed the issues.

No one has any ideas?

Thanks,
G.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Aug 11, 2013 at 7:55:33 pm

Sorry I couldn't help with this but I would repost this here because it's slipping down the list in the forum. Also maybe post in the Avid forum.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Aug 12, 2013 at 12:39:37 am

Plot thickens... whatever the issue is, it is also now preventing me from launching Final Cut Pro 7.

I think it is time for a complete format of my boot drive and reinstall everything from scratch (after backing up of course).

- G

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Aug 12, 2013 at 4:10:43 am

Dude, believe me I feel your pain, it's happened to me too many times. i know this won't help now, but for future problems I really suggest backing up your entire system with something like Acronis, which I use and recommend, that makes an exact copy of your boot drive at a time when it was still working. I keep copies of my system backups in various states, like when the operating system is first installed, and then after I've installed all the drivers and basic programs like Microsoft office, and then again after I've installed all of the big apps like the Adobe and Cinema 4D and Avid and so forth. That way you can always go back to a previous system state without having to totally start from zero. System restore works sometimes but not always, full system backups are bulletproof.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Aug 13, 2013 at 8:42:55 pm

Just an update that after a complete format and fresh install of everything on my boot drive, the problems are gone.

The nearest I could figure was that it was something related to the QT.32 Server -- this can even be an issue in the newer CC versions according to Adobe:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/08/solutions-for-problems-with-qui...

That said, no solutions they suggested worked, so a fresh format & install was my only option.

Thanks,
G.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Aug 13, 2013 at 9:13:27 pm

Glad to hear you finally got it working. Now hurry, back it up!! haha

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:53:36 pm

Well, it worked for a few days. Now it's back, and I have no idea what brought it back on.

Definitely not doing the fresh format and reinstall route again... really need to find a fix for this.

Return to posts index

Jon Merrifield
on Oct 13, 2013 at 7:33:40 pm

Hi Graham,
Thank you for updating. I am having the same or very similar issue with AE CC but am ok with CS6. I am unable to make use of CC due to this issue.

I am following your thread and others to try and make determinations and as a way of troubleshooting. Adobe has not been helpful in this matter. which is a problem for me since I am paying for but cannot use CC. But I digress...

May I ask you to please update as you discover solutions or continued problems.

Thank you so much.

Jon Merrifield
PELi VFX

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 4, 2014 at 1:29:41 am

I'm having similar problems of disappearing assets, but no crashing (yet). I moved a few of my AE projects, then opened them and most of them open with NOTHING inside! No assets, no comps. Really weird...so even typing "missing" in the dialogue box (which usually works when seeking missing assets) yields nothing. I've gone back to a few auto-save versions and the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Mar 4, 2014 at 3:59:50 am

Hi Tad, I'm not sure what the issue could be but if you can upload one of the project files (no assets) maybe myself or someone else could try to open it and see if at least the comps and missing footage placeholders are there. Then you would know if it's the project files that are corrupted or something with your system or software. However, I would suggest re-posting this in a fresh thread because only the people on this thread will see this.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]