ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Dot pattern animation - individual dot opacity control based on a gradient mask?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gene Strocco
Dot pattern animation - individual dot opacity control based on a gradient mask?
on Aug 9, 2013 at 3:37:43 am

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me with what I think should be a relatively straight forward animation project. I'm an intermediate AE user and somehow I think my brain is just freezing up.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I've got a dot pattern (please see reference pic) that I'd like to animate each individual dot's opacity based on a mask animation. I don't want to do just a gradient mask transition, because that's too simple. I want to make each dot 'pop' on as whatever shape I make animates over it.

A good example is when using a mask on CC Ball Action, which draws each 'ball' as you animate the mask over it. However, Ball Action doesn't allow you to create an off-set row pattern like the one in my image, and I'd also like to see if the opacity can gradually fade in/out based on the feathering or the gradient/mask edge.

So, in summary, please reference my image and imagine the wave gradient mask I created controlling the opacity of each individual dot. Hope someone out there can help me!

Thanks,
G.

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
Re: Dot pattern animation - individual dot opacity control based on a gradient mask?
on Aug 9, 2013 at 7:28:56 am

See if this helps at all.

http://m.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_ball_dispersion/

Thats a mobile link from my phone. But basically its tutorial 103 "3D ball dispersion" on that site.

You should be able to get a few ideas from this tutorial to get you going in the right direction.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Dot pattern animation - individual dot opacity control based on a gradient mask?
on Aug 9, 2013 at 2:15:49 pm

I've attached an AE Project File (CS6 and CC versions included) in a ZIP package.

6384_particleplaygroundoffsetdots.zip

The AEP uses two Particle Playground layers to create a grid of dots that are offset on the x-axis, on alternate rows. The dots are from a precomp and are used as a custom particle by the PP layers.

Both PP layers are linked to a precomp (Opacity Map) which affects the opacity of the dots.

By changing the Opacity Map, different outcomes are possible in the PP layers.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Aug 10, 2013 at 6:31:26 pm

Once again you've opened my eyes to the possibilities of Particle Playground. I can imagine a ton of potential uses for this effect alone. Thanks Roland!

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 14, 2013 at 3:35:38 am

You may want to check out a tutorial I did a while back - http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kahlenberg_roland/shattering_world....

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]