ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Particles in jello

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Jorgensen
Particles in jello
on Aug 8, 2013 at 6:33:32 pm

I have a situation where I need a particle emitter to emit custom particles from left to right but when the particles reach a certain point on the screen, they need to slow down as though they are passing through a jello block. After they leave the jello they need to speed back up to their normal speed.

Is it possible to use expressions on a per particle basis rather than on the emitter, allowing me to change particle velocity as individual particles reach a range of positions? Or can anyone think of another way to accomplish this same effect?

I have access to Particular as well as the native AE tools.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Particles in jello
on Aug 9, 2013 at 2:12:53 am

I don't know of a way to control the speed of the particles individually, but one thing you might try is to pre-compose the particle animation and then use time remapping on the pre-comp to control the speed of the particles.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Joshua Jorgensen
on Aug 9, 2013 at 2:36:32 am

This would work except not all of the particles will be entering and leaving the jello at the same time. If I use time remapping, won't all of them slow down or speed up regardless of where the are in relation to the jello?

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Aug 9, 2013 at 2:47:32 am

Yes, good point. Could you use a separate layer of particles that are moving slowly just for the Jell-O part of the scene? Maybe use a mask to isolate the portion of the screen where the Jell-O is? It wouldn't match up perfectly of course, and it may also look weird that you've got particles moving very quickly going into the Jell-O and then suddenly moving slow through the Jell-O. I think they would probably need to slow down as they are entering the Jell-O for it to look realistic, but I'm not quite sure how to do that.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 9, 2013 at 3:09:06 pm

This ZIP package includes an AEP (2 versions in AE CS6 and AE CC). The AEP uses Particle Playground to create particles that are shot off a canon (emitter). The particles then travel at variable speeds. The speed is controlled in a precomp using a grayscale image.

White areas denote fast/normal speeds. Darker areas denote slower speeds. As a particle travels across different luminance areas, its speed varies accordingly.

Here's the AEP - 6386_particleplaygroundvarispeedparticles.zip

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Joshua Jorgensen
on Aug 9, 2013 at 5:15:17 pm

Hi Roland,

This is great and at first glance is exactly what I need. I'll dive into it to learn how it works and see if it can be adapted to my needs.

Thank you very much for putting this together.

-Joshua

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 9, 2013 at 7:45:47 pm

Since you liked what you saw, I came up with another version - not to make you unlike the original version BUT more so that you may have a preference for this newer version ;-)

6389_particleplaygroundvarispeedparticles02.zip

If you have any Qs, please be specific on the area(s) where you need more info.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Joshua Jorgensen
on Aug 9, 2013 at 8:26:44 pm

I'm going to spend some time this weekend dissecting this new version but will be sure to post any questions I run into. Thanks for this. It's great.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Aug 9, 2013 at 5:33:58 pm

Roland, that is brilliant, and so simple at the same time. I never knew you could do that with particle playground. Although I admit I don't use it much and tend to use Particular..

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 9, 2013 at 7:38:38 pm

Erik, it's easy cos' now you know how to do it. ;-)

I love PP for its property mappers feature and designing image grids.

Checkout this thread -> http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1040538 on designing a grid using PP.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]