ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scale comp's width, but dont squash text and line weights?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ocean Byrne
Scale comp's width, but dont squash text and line weights?
on Aug 8, 2013 at 4:54:59 pm

Any suggestions on the best way to horizontally scale a composition, but not squash the text or line weights?

I have a graph with height on Y and width on X, and I need to scale the width to show about 10x as much data as it starts with.

Is there an automated way I can just scale the whole comps width to 10%, and have AE automatically scale the measurement ticks and their text numbers so their positions change, but they dont get el squasho?

Better yet is there a tool where I can set the scale, and it will automatically fade out digits when they get too small? So I'd start with ticks for 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10, and end with ticks for 0 10 20 30 40..., and the 1-9 would fade as they get insignificant?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Scale comp's width, but dont squash text and line weights?
on Aug 8, 2013 at 6:45:26 pm

This sounds like more of an aspect ratio problem than anything else.

Every playback device I've ever encountered works with the file's original horizontal & vertical resolution: a fixed aspect ratio. Once it's playing back, it can't change. Name one device that can change the resolution as it plays and I'll send you one whole American Dollar.

However, that's precisely what you want to do: while maintaining the original vertical resolution, you want to increase the horizontal resolution as it plays. See the problem?

So you have to START with the resolution you ultimately want at the end, and FAKE the increased width. An easy way might be to animate something black moving from left to right, making it look like the screen's growing horizontally.

How do you intend to play this animation back, anyway?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Scale comp's width, but dont squash text and line weights?
on Aug 9, 2013 at 2:48:09 am

Place the layers that should not be squashed at the top of the Timeline stack. Then apply Effect>Distort>Transform onto an Adjustment Layer which is placed above the 'squashed layers'.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]