ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Convert to Editable Text Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael SchmuckerConvert to Editable Text Problem
by on Aug 8, 2013 at 4:21:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I'll get right to it. I've received a Photoshop file from a client for a motion graphics project. I've imported the file into After Effects (CS6, OSX), and everything looks great! I want to edit some text elements, so I selected "Convert To Editable Text" in the layer menu. All of a sudden, the text gets slightly bolder. I've attached an image to show the difference – it's subtle, but noticeable. Take a look at the spacing between the "E" and the "A" in the word "IDEA." I toyed with tons of parameters, and couldn't get it to match manually. The font is Helvetica Neue Bold. The letters are in the perfect spot – All the parameters are perfect! Just every individual character is thicker. I want to make sure that I give the client exactly what they designed! The only thing I can think of is that my Helvetica Neue Bold is different that theirs! Am I missing something? Thanks in advance!

Michael

Return to posts index

Dustin LawhornRe: Convert to Editable Text Problem
by on Aug 8, 2013 at 5:08:58 pm

I would guess that the stroke width is on when it should be off (set to 0). as for the E and A spacing you may just have to change the tracking between those letters.

-dl

Return to posts index

Michael SchmuckerRe: Convert to Editable Text Problem
by on Aug 8, 2013 at 5:14:48 pm

I did have that thought. But the stroke is off...

Return to posts index

Dustin LawhornRe: Convert to Editable Text Problem
by on Aug 8, 2013 at 8:58:24 pm

I also thought that it looks like a Faux Bold being added. But since fonts drive me a little batty, I ran the fonts through What the font DOT com and this is what I got.

"Your WhatTheFont results:
There are 5 matches for the image you uploaded.

Neue Haas Grotesk Std Text 75 Bold
from Linotype Neue Haas Grotesk

Neue Haas Grotesk Pro Text 75 Bold
from Linotype Neue Haas Grotesk

Europa Gro SB-Dem Bol
from Scangraphic Digital Type Collection Europa Grotesk SB

Nimbus Sans Novus D Bold
from URW++ Nimbus Sans Novus

Nimbus Sans Novus Bold
from URW++ Nimbus Sans Novus
"

Unfortunately, I didn't really learn much from that. I've seen that Haas Grotesk showing up as matching one of the Helvetica variations on my main graphics system.

I'd like to know what you figure out though. Sorry, that I wasn't much help.

-dl

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Convert to Editable Text Problem
by on Aug 9, 2013 at 2:39:10 am

Is your client on a different platform, as in maybe a PC instead of a Mac? I work cross-platform a lot and have run into a lot of weird issues with fonts. Maybe you could have the designer send you the font that they used?

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Convert to Editable Text Problem
by on Aug 9, 2013 at 2:43:44 am

Use Effect>Channel>Minimax to make your fonts thinner. No guarantees that it'll work perfectly but it should help a lot.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]