ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Automating an Audio Meter

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon ReedAutomating an Audio Meter
by on Aug 7, 2013 at 3:47:07 pm

Hello all try to bare with me but here I go

I have a project with a title mask that is filled with an audio meter synced to a song, now the audio meter is about 30 or so bars now I have synced them with the audio that I have made into key frames using the convert audio to key frames, now the audio meter is a rectangle with the repeater added to it, the repeater is pick whipped to one of the audio slider channels, I have done this for random layers and done it for the right side and the left side so that the audio meter is kind of randomized, now here is my question I am trying to automate this process so that I can drop in any audio file convert it to key frames and pick whip just 3 layers to the right left and both chancel individually and then the random layers I have selected would follow the certain layer, now I have tried parenting the layers so that say layer 5,7,8,11,14 and so on would follow layer 1 witch would be pick whipped to the both audio slider, the repeater on the parented layers does not follow the repeater on layer 1, is there a way that I can automate this process? If you understand what my project is lol

Thanks in advanced

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Automating an Audio Meter
by on Aug 7, 2013 at 5:28:31 pm

It's hard to answer this mainly because it is one huge sentence. No periods, paragraphs, It makes it really difficult to read.

I have a question for you... Is English your first language?

If not, I will teach you something. It's not "witch" in this case it's "which". Also the term you are looking for at the end there is, "thanks in advance". Your name sounds pretty "english speaking" so I will assume it's your first language.

You are welcome... in advance.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Brandon ReedRe: Automating an Audio Meter
by on Aug 7, 2013 at 5:45:05 pm

thanks for the reply! I didn't know I was in english class and had to use proper grammar, anyways thanks for giving me a pointless link and not answering my question it was really helpful, did I use proper grammar in this response?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 7, 2013 at 6:02:33 pm

Um, no you didn't.

And to be honest if you want people to be more likely to want to help you and actually read your question, paragraphs and periods help. Anyone here on the COW that finds my statement untrue should respond below.

I most likely know the answer to your question but have no desire to sift through your mess of a post. So you tell me if it matters.

My Work:

Return to posts index

by on Aug 7, 2013 at 6:09:09 pm

cool great for you, I guess you can't take a joke but thanks again for your help!

does this help

Hello all try to bare with me but here I go.

I have a project with a title mask that is filled with an audio meter synced to a song. Now the audio meter is about 30 or so bars, now I have synced them with the audio that I have made into key frames using the convert audio to key frames. Now the audio meter is a rectangle with the repeater added to it, the repeater is pick whipped to one of the audio slider channels. I have done this for random layers and done it for the right side and the left side so that the audio meter is kind of randomized.

Now here is my question I am trying to automate this process so that I can drop in any audio file convert it to key frames and pick whip just 3 layers to the right left and both chancel individually and then the random layers I have selected would follow the certain layer. Now I have tried parenting the layers so that say layer 5,7,8,11,14 and so on would follow layer 1 which would be pick whipped to the both audio slider. The repeater on the parented layers does not follow the repeater on layer 1. Is there a way that I can automate this process? If you understand what my project is

Return to posts index

Dustin LawhornRe: Automating an Audio Meter
by on Aug 7, 2013 at 8:35:06 pm

Isn't this kinda what Trapcode Sound Keys does? I could be wrong on that. I haven't used it in a while.

It looks like, if i'm following what you're doing right, you'll lose the keyframes with every new audio track. Which means you'll have to regenerate them, then re pickwhip them. So, really, no efficiency gained.

Now if you were pick-whiping pre-comps, the comps should all follow the new keyframed layer. You would have to turn those "5,7,8,11,14 " layers into pre comps. That's actually what I'd try to do first. I have less problems with pick whips forgetting what the parent layer was doing that way.

-dl

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2013 at 11:10:02 am

Thanks for the reply!

I did try pre-comping the random layers but the repeater layer does not work on compositions. So I tried the same theory with no such luck.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Automating an Audio Meter
by on Aug 7, 2013 at 9:06:13 pm

Try linking the three group of rectangles via Expressions, as per your initial setup. Parenting only works with Transform Properties (except Opacity) AND does not trickle down to the innards of Shape Layers, Text Layers or effects.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Automating an Audio Meter
by on Aug 7, 2013 at 9:08:55 pm

Still a bit unclear... but what I think you want to do is be able to easily change the audio source for a whole set of expressions dependent on audio amplitude?

Create a new null object in your scene and call it "Audio Layer Selector". Add the Layer Control effect to this new null. Make sure to select an audio amplitude layer here before proceeding.

In your expressions, instead of referring to something like this:

thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Left Channel")("Slider")

Refer to this:

thisComp.layer("Audio Layer Selector").effect("Layer Control")("Layer").effect("Left Channel")("Slider")

Basically, instead of referring to controls on the audio amplitude layer directly, you're referring to the the controls on the layer you select with the layer control. Please note that stuff will break if you select a layer that does not have the audio amplitude controls and you'll need to reset your expressions.

Once this is done, you can bring in multiple audio sources, convert their amplitudes to keyframes, and change which audio layer your expressions are looking at by changing the layer control on your Audio Layer Selector null layer.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2013 at 11:10:50 am

Thanks for the help!

I'll have to full around with this at work today see if I can get it to work.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2013 at 3:18:41 pm

What does it mean to "full around at work"?

My Work:

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2013 at 3:21:00 pm

How about mess around does that make it more clear?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2013 at 3:32:12 pm

A simple "fool around" would suffice.

I imagine when you were hired there was not a written exam. Believe it or not I am helping you to not sound uneducated in the future when you write and speak.

You may not think it's important because you were educated in today's failing public school system, but speaking and/or writing in poor english will have an effect on your career and ability to make money.

There are plenty of people in my industry who are openly mocked by collegues because of their bad spelling and misunderstanding of phrases. I even have a friend who prints out the best ones and saves them in a folder for our later amusement.

Don't be mocked. It can and will cost you money in the long run.

My Work:

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2013 at 3:36:04 pm

Well I'll be the first to admit I'm not a good writer or a good speller. I struggled all through high school and college writing. That is why I chose this profession so that I can put my ideas down in visual form and not have to write. I do understand what you are saying but there was really no need for the bashing when all I was asking for is a little help. Thanks though for your comments I will keep them in mind next time I write a topic on here or just write in general.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2013 at 3:52:35 pm

I'll make it simple. And this is a straight up, no bull***t response.

People (such as myself) and many others on here are steadily working professionals. (If you look at my work you will see I know what the hell I am doing.) And we answer questions on here to give back, and help others learn, I get and they get nothing. In fact we rarely even get thanks.

But in all honesty I have few spare minutes in a day, and I only answer questions that don't exhaust me at the thought of decoding the question posed in the first place. A well stated question will get you a well stated answer on any forum.

Keep that in mind. And good luck.

~ M

My Work:

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2013 at 3:56:12 pm

Will do

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Automating an Audio Meter
by on Aug 8, 2013 at 3:59:50 pm

@Matt - let's get back to our regular programming. This is an inclusive world and CreativeCOW thrives on its 'worldliness' - hence its acronymic suffix.

Seriously, linguistic abilities are the furthest from my thoughts when it comes to communicating, which is largely visual, with AE.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2013 at 4:11:43 pm

If you think what I said is irrelevant. Then move on, but I am correct and you know it.

Well stated questions get answers. Poorly stated ones do not.

You let me know which part of this (or any other) post I made is incorrect, and I'll help you understand why you are wrong.

If you read my last few responses, you will see I am trying to help this guy out. It really has nothing to do with you, but thanks for butting in.

My Work:

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2013 at 6:38:24 pm

Well after some playing around with it today I was able to get the results I wanted. Your response got me onto the right path. I did use a null object, but then I applied the slider effect to the null object. I then took the random rectangles I created and pick whipped them to the null object slider. I then took the null object slider and pick whipped it to the audio channel I wanted.

Now when I drop in a new audio file all I have to do is convert it to key frames, pick whip the null objects to the channel's I want.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Automating an Audio Meter
by on Aug 7, 2013 at 6:44:50 pm

Well, I'm totall confused. If I had a half-hour to parse the post into plain English, it might be a different story. But I don't. Sorry.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Aug 7, 2013 at 6:50:44 pm

lol ok read my last post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]