ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trying to stick an image onto a mobile phone, but the hand is getting in the way !

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rajarshi Basu
Trying to stick an image onto a mobile phone, but the hand is getting in the way !
on Aug 7, 2013 at 8:52:19 am

Hi I have shot here, a hand picking up the mobile phone. I wanna replace the screen. But the hand is getting in the way and destroying the track, I am using 3D camera tracker. I know I have to roto around the had, but how to get the image o stick to the phone surface !

Thanks guys any help would be appreciated !

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Trying to stick an image onto a mobile phone, but the hand is getting in the way !
on Aug 7, 2013 at 3:15:32 pm

Mocha AE, then manually adjust the track during the portions where it begins to fail. Mocha AE is included with After Effects and the help file includes a tutorial on screen replacement, using a cell phone as an example.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Trying to stick an image onto a mobile phone, but the hand is getting in the way !
on Aug 7, 2013 at 3:29:37 pm

Tracking the screen will best be done with a planar tracker like that in Mocha AE. Planar tracks (like most tracks) tend to break down if there are a lot of reflections on the surface being tracked. If that's the case then you may be better off manually corner pinning to the screen corners.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jim McAdory
on Aug 7, 2013 at 5:23:00 pm

I agree with Darby, I did one of these not long ago and because the phone was rotating (with lots of glare) as well as moving forward I could not get a good track with any of the AE/Mocha tools. I was able to get a partial track with mocha but had to finish it with manual tracking. I also had to work with the director to re-think the effect and went with a partial screen effect rather than a full screen replacement. The partial screen help hide the fact that I could never get a steady track in the time I had to work with the clip.

Return to posts index

Jim McAdory
on Aug 7, 2013 at 5:33:46 pm

I should have added that you can exclude the hand in mocha if it is partially blocking the area you are tracking. There is a rather long tutorial on mamoworld.com that covers this:

http://www.mamoworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=397%3...

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 7, 2013 at 9:41:37 pm

Here's another mocha tutorial on tracking with foreground occlusion -

With respect to tracking screens, 99% of tracking issues has to do with footage that have been acquired with proper visual effects supervision. There is almost always a way to shoot the screens to allow for a fluid tracking process in post.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]