ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

DIY green screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Manuel Montes RomeroDIY green screen
by on Aug 6, 2013 at 9:58:37 pm

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask for this, if it's not, please anyone feel free to move it to the right one.

I want to make my own green screen for chroma keying outside a studio and I wonder which is the material used to keep it open while using it. I think it's a kind of metal, but I'm not sure. The system is the same that in the circled photo reflectors.
Could anyone help me with this please?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: DIY green screen
by on Aug 6, 2013 at 11:16:46 pm

[Manuel Montes Romero] "I think it's a kind of metal, but I'm not sure."

Yup. Narrow-gauge spring steel. To prevent rust, it's ususally plastic-coated.

Have you thought about a frame made of PVC pipe and velcro on the green fabric to wrap around the pipe?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim ArcoRe: DIY green screen
by on Aug 7, 2013 at 12:49:01 pm

The 5'x7' pop-up green screen that I have uses spring steel, which is a highly tempered piece of metal that tends to return to the shape it was manufactured. It is about a 1/4-inch wide and maybe 1/16-inch thick.

You might be able to use spring-wire, which can be found in larger hardware stores (at least in the US.)

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: DIY green screen
by on Aug 7, 2013 at 3:39:12 pm

My thought on this is that you may end up spending more time and effort on this than it's worth. You can purchase these foldable green screens on *bay and B&H for pretty short money.

It might become a case of "why buy it for a sixty dollars, when you can build it for a hundred?". The challenge of doing it, on the other hand, is rather interesting. The tough part, in thinking about it, is how you're going to join the ends of the spring steel rod in order to not fly apart and injure someone on the shoot. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Jim ArcoRe: DIY green screen
by on Aug 7, 2013 at 3:58:12 pm

I'm with Joseph on this one.

Unless you already have some of the parts, or have a unique need not served by available vendors, or just want to learn how to do it... you'll probably spend much more time and effort building one than ordering one. One limitation, for instance, green-screen fabric is highly color-saturated and not likely available in the crafts section of your local W-Mart. Plus, the one you buy will already have a carry case.

If you decide to go forward, check out dozens of ideas on the web by searching "DIY greenscreen."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved