ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

reformatting comp from 4:3 SD to 16:9 HD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Doughtiereformatting comp from 4:3 SD to 16:9 HD
by on Aug 6, 2013 at 8:19:47 pm

My AE guy is a wiz, but still learning the broadcast side of things. And I am nowhere near as familiar with AE ass he is, so it can be tough for me to assist him at times.

We have a :30 spot originally produced in SD 4:3 within AE CS6. Now with a revision coming down we want to bring it up to 1280x720 16:9. It is a fairly complex composition.

Since we have an aspect change, simple scaling isn't quite the answer. I know there's too many variables to ask for a customized response, so I am looking for a general workflow of how you would manage the change in this project.

If I can offer more information to help with your response, please chime in!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: reformatting comp from 4:3 SD to 16:9 HD
by on Aug 6, 2013 at 9:01:13 pm

[Jon Doughtie] "Since we have an aspect change, simple scaling isn't quite the answer. I know there's too many variables to ask for a customized response, so I am looking for a general workflow of how you would manage the change in this project."

First, I would go straight to 1920x1080 unless you have a very specific reason for wanting to stay 1280x720. It's easier to go down to 1280x720 later than it will be to go upscale again if you need to.

Depending on the design of the spot, I'd either basically scale it up as 4:3 to match HD's height (1440x1080, utlimately leaving me blank edges to fill back in by adjusting the design) or scale it up as 4:3 to match HD's width (1920x1440, ultimately leaving me extra top and bottom that will get cropped out and may require adjustment).

Either way, I'd use the Scale Composition script to scale the main comp (and, manually, precomps as necessary) to 1440x1080 (or 1920x1440). Video footage could get ugly due to the scaling unless it's already HD, but shape/vector/text layers will be fine.

Then I would adjust the composition settings for the main comp (and all precomps as necessary) to 1920x1080 (not scaling this time!).

Finally, go in and do the hard work of making all the design work again in the new aspect ratio.

FYI, even when producing SD material, I generally recommend working at 1920x1080 and keeping the design 4:3 safe. In my experience, nobody ever just wants SD anymore.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: reformatting comp from 4:3 SD to 16:9 HD
by on Aug 7, 2013 at 1:21:34 pm

Thanks Walter. We've been working with 720P because that is our default on-air resolution. But you're right; there's no harm in going to 1080i - the server will handle getting it down the pipe at 720P; confirmed that with the engineers.

The original was done in SD because we are VERY late in the game going full HD on air. It did not happen until our MC operation was hubbed. Until very recently we were still operating out of a fully NTSC SD local master control.

In 2013.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: reformatting comp from 4:3 SD to 16:9 HD
by on Aug 7, 2013 at 2:04:44 pm

[Jon Doughtie] "We've been working with 720P because that is our default on-air resolution. But you're right; there's no harm in going to 1080i - the server will handle getting it down the pipe at 720P; confirmed that with the engineers."

Sorry, I didn't realize on the first post that you are the broadcaster. If you are now broadcasting 720p, I'd say that's a pretty good reason to stick with 720p on the Ae side.

However, even if you do work in Ae at 1920x1080@29.97i, you can output at 1280x720p59.94 by tweaking the frame rate in your render settings and scale size in your output module.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]