ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

import 3D Spline

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Nibor
import 3D Spline
on Aug 6, 2013 at 8:40:47 am

I'd like to import a 3d Spline from 3DS Max and use it as a path to animate a particular emitter on it over time.

It's for a project that features the well known animated particular streaks... the problem so far is that all tutorials I found on this are based on somehow "random" paths generated from an expression.
I need the path to be a very specific in 3D.

I haven't figured out how to build a "real" 3D path in AE yet... in Max it would take me just a few minutes to create a really complex spline - but I don't know how to import it inside AE
What would be the best approach?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: import 3D Spline
on Aug 6, 2013 at 9:34:21 am

Here's a script for Max which will do the job by way of the 3D camera:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/after-effects-animated-position-e...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Aug 6, 2013 at 11:26:59 am

Thank you, this looks great! : )

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 6, 2013 at 3:22:29 pm

[Marc Nibor] "I'd like to import a 3d Spline from 3DS Max and use it as a path to animate a particular emitter on it over time... I haven't figured out how to build a "real" 3D path in AE yet."

Here's an all-Ae solution:

Add a light to your scene and name it Emitter 1. Tap the P key to reveal its position properties, then right-click the word Position and choose "Separate dimensions." You can now animate X, Y and Z independently.

With Particular, choose "Light(s)" as the emitter type. You can use the light's intensity to modify the emitter's particles per second if you like, or you can turn the "Particles/sec modifier" to "None" to use the standard Particular controls.

You can turn the visibility of your Emitter 1 light layer off if you don't want it to light your scene. Particular will still track it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]