ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Highest Quality Audio?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg howellHighest Quality Audio?
by on Aug 5, 2013 at 2:02:27 pm

two questions..

1. I know vimeo only operates at only 8bpc. Is this the same for audio too? i know i should set to 48.000 khz, but should it be at 8, 16 or 32 bit? (will it just be converted to 8 bit anyway?)

2. Whats the differnce between AAC + 2, compared to AAC? does '+ 2' mean higher qulaity, like the multipass setting for video in AME?

Return to posts index

greg howellRe: Highest Quality Audio?
by on Aug 5, 2013 at 2:17:32 pm

to clarify, i intend to put this on Vimeo..

Return to posts index

Brendon SuleskyRe: Highest Quality Audio?
by on Aug 5, 2013 at 3:17:14 pm

I don't know if it's supposed to perform higher quality but I've seen multiple tutorials saying to NOT USE AAC+2. Just use AAC cause I've had great results with it. I would say to put the quality to 48.000 khz 8 bit cause once again I've had no problems with it. Here's a video I did with 48.000 khz 8-bit(If you don't like the sound quality then you can try 16 or 32 bit.):

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Highest Quality Audio?
by on Aug 5, 2013 at 5:31:14 pm

Real simple answer. Always make your masters in high quality. There is no reason in this world to render out something with less than 48k 16bit audio in a master. Any compression that follows is a different story. But just because it will end up 8 bit once compressed, why start degrading your audio before compression degrades it again.

My Work:

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Highest Quality Audio?
by on Aug 6, 2013 at 5:01:22 am

High quality as Matthew recommends.

The difference in bitdepth for audio controls a few things: dynamic range and, in turn, noise floor.

I recommend not going any lower than 16-bits. 16-bit/48kHz seems to be the standard for video-based audio and you'll end up compromising the quality of high dynamic range material with 8-bits; with music music 8-bits isn't terribly noticeable because it's mixed to remain fairly loud.

Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved