ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Smoke / steam from coffee cup

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stig olsenSmoke / steam from coffee cup
by on Aug 3, 2013 at 10:01:33 am

I need to add some steam / smoke to a coffee cup.
I cant shoot it or add my stock footage because it has to "loop". Any suggestions? Foam or particles? Any good tutorials out there.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Smoke / steam from coffee cup
by on Aug 3, 2013 at 12:12:35 pm

Why don't you just shoot it and create a Dissolve Loop? Just cut your steam clip in the middle, then place the two pieces at opposite ends with a dissolve (as long as looks good - at least a half second) in the middle, or use this script:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Smoke / steam from coffee cup
by on Aug 3, 2013 at 10:21:30 pm

If you decide to use cross dissolving I highly recommend pre-composing the layers to be dissolved and using the Alpha Add blend mode. This avoids unintentional dimming in the middle of the dissolve, much like the Blend effect but easier in my opinion :-)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Smoke / steam from coffee cup
by on Aug 3, 2013 at 1:15:45 pm

Here's a pretty decent tutorial, if you want to loop particles yourself rather than use the script. In the tutorial, he does a dissolve to make the outgoing particles disappear. I prefer(if I have enough time in my comp),is to just turn off the particle emitter of the first layer while the emitter of the second layer is turning on. So if my particles have a life span of 5 seconds, I turn off the first emitter over 5 seconds, while the 2nd one is starting up, IMO, it looks more natural.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

stig olsenRe: Smoke / steam from coffee cup
by on Aug 8, 2013 at 8:51:58 am

Thank you guys!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved