ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion sketch a light

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hey ChongMotion sketch a light
by on Aug 2, 2013 at 10:02:20 pm

I know it is possible to motion sketch a light - but it keeps telling me it can't sketch a 3D layer. I am watching a tutorial on animating particles in Trapcode where the person has made a light path of his name in cursive.

I know it's possible but I don't know how! I've scoured the forums but I didn't really find anything too pertinent. It seems he made the path with the light, not a null layer.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motion sketch a light
by on Aug 2, 2013 at 10:18:09 pm

Well, if you're watching the TUTORIAL -- the thingy that teaches you how to do the effect -- I'm not really sure what we can add other than to say, "Watch the tutorial again."

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hey ChongRe: Motion sketch a light
by on Aug 3, 2013 at 2:15:33 am

Thanks for your response. The tutorial(aka "thingy") that I mentioned does not cover actually sketching the motion path for a light. It picks up afterwards - going into setting the particle to follow it. It is very straightforward and the only part that I am having an issue with is getting motion sketch to work on my light layer. I just posted to see I there was a simple step that I was missing.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Motion sketch a light
by on Aug 3, 2013 at 3:54:38 am

You can only Motion Sketch a 2D layer. So ... start off by Motion Sketching a 2D Null Object. Then either (1) Parent a Light to the 2D Null Object (2) Create an Expression on the Light to link its position to the Null Object's Position (3) Copy the Null Object's Position keyframes to the Light's Position property.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved