ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Bought new grapics card 580GTX lightning from 285gtx see no change?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nige morganBought new grapics card 580GTX lightning from 285gtx see no change?
by on Jul 31, 2013 at 1:48:56 pm

Sold my 285gtx and bought a lightning Edition 580gtx, the graphics on computer games are better but I can't see any difference in performance in after effects. I would have expected render times to be speeded up or at least viewing in real time full.

I have:
My after effects is 10.5.0.253
AMD 6 core, 16ram, ssd HD, windows 7 64.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Bought new grapics card 580GTX lightning from 285gtx see no change?
by on Jul 31, 2013 at 2:09:19 pm

Try using the Ray Tracing engine, you should notice a performance increase there.

ETA: Didn't see that you were using 5.5 until I saw Todd's post, then I slapped my head and said "DOH!!!" real loud.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Bought new grapics card 580GTX lightning from 285gtx see no change?
by on Jul 31, 2013 at 3:35:59 pm

If you're using After Effects CS5.5, there is no reason to expect any performance improvement because of a GPU. That version didn't use the GPU for much.

See this page for details of what the GPU does in After Effects CS6 and later:
http://bit.ly/AE_CUDA_OpenGL_GPU

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Bought new grapics card 580GTX lightning from 285gtx see no change?
by on Jul 31, 2013 at 3:04:35 pm

There isn't a card made that will speed up AE the same way the right card will speed up... oh, say, an editing application.

That's because AE and editing applications don't work they same way, they don't do the same things, so they use the cards differently.

Stick with the Good Mr. Cuevas' advice.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]