ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

R3D icons in After Effects and OSX

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham HutchinsR3D icons in After Effects and OSX
by on Jul 27, 2013 at 9:02:27 pm

Hello all,

After searching high and low for a solution to this, I'm at my wit's end.

Right now on my system, and specifically in AE, R3D files show up as blank document icons, as seen here:

They also show up blank in After Effects, as seen here in the timeline:

and here in the project panel:

I can go through using CMD+i to change file icons in Finder, but this is tedious and slow and I'd like to figure out a way to have all R3Ds brought into the system to have the correct Red icon. The Red icon appears on the Windows system I use at work, but every OSX system I've been on in the past 12 months has the blank document icon instead of the Red icon.

It may seem trivial, but it would really facilitate organization in AE. Right now, the icon for R3D material looks very similar to nulls, adjustment layers and white solids, all of which I use all the time in the VFX comps I create. It would really help me out to have a way of visually differentiating this specific file type.

I've tried Candybar, but that is only slightly easier than copy and pasting in the info panel in OSX. I've tried associating the R3D file type to open with Redcine-X, but this doesn't work either. It seems there should be a way at the Finder level to tell OSX "Here's an R3D, use this icon always".

FYI, updating the icon manually and then restarting AE does update the icon for the clips that have been changed, as seen here:

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: I should also add that it's simple enough to search the entire system for every R3D file and use option+CMD+i to paste the icon onto every R3D file, but this isn't something one should have to do. It should be automatic.

-Graham

OSX 10.8.4, Windows 7
Adobe CS6, CC
FC Studio 3
DaVinci Resolve 9
Octo 2.26GB MacPro, 32 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Sam HakesRe: R3D icons in After Effects and OSX
by on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:36:21 pm

Graham,

Were you able to resolve this issue? I'm working with a bunch of R3Ds in After Effects right now and I'd love to have a way to differenate them from other files in the project. I'm running Mac OSX 10.9.1 and AE CC.

Thanks,
Sam

Return to posts index

Graham HutchinsRe: R3D icons in After Effects and OSX
by on Feb 19, 2014 at 7:14:31 pm

Hi Sam,

Nope, I never did find a solution to this, but I have effectively given up on trying to work with R3Ds in After Effects, which, in a way, solves the issue :)

What I've been doing is getting the R3D clips into AE via FCP/Redcine-X or Premiere, using rd_PreCompose to pre comp each shot to either the length of the trimmed R3D or it's edited length (FCP/RCX or PP, respectively) and then generating DPX or TIFF sequences to do the actual work with (can also be generated in RCX). AE just doesn't seem to like decoding R3Ds, especially when comps start to get complicated.

I'm considering doing the same with Quicktime as a rule. AE CC has had serious issues with decoding QT on both my 2009 Mac Pro and now my nMac Pro.

All this transcoding is a bit of a time hit, which is manageable, and a huge storage hit, but worth not having to pull your hair out because of system instablility.

Hope that helps.

-Graham

OSX 10.8.4, Windows 7
Adobe CS6, CC
FC Studio 3
DaVinci Resolve 9
Octo 2.26GB MacPro, 32 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Sam HakesRe: R3D icons in After Effects and OSX
by on Feb 19, 2014 at 9:25:23 pm

Good to know. I have been experiencing a few problems, but overall the R3Ds in AE have been relatively stable for me. I hope I won't have to go the image sequence route. I tried your browser .R3D search and option+CMD+i fix and it's working pretty well for this project.

Thanks!
Sam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]