ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Retro Informercial Title Effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin GadberryRetro Informercial Title Effect?
by on Jul 27, 2013 at 3:07:03 pm

Hey folks,

Below is a link to a video from Art of Manliness about shaving. Obviously it is a humorous video and they've used various techniques (degrading the auido, video etc) to make it appear to be an old infomercial.

What I'm most interested in is how they create that effect where the title cards bounce and move about slightly. Obviously in old movies title cards didn't remain still like they do today, they moved slightly frame to frame.

I'm looking to recreate this effect on my next project but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions? I'm relatively new to After Effects so keep that in mind if you respond!

-Benjamin Gadberry Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Retro Informercial Title Effect?
by on Jul 27, 2013 at 3:22:46 pm

Sorry, I don't see a takeoff on an old infomercial. I see videos of a golden retriever puppy.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Benjamin GadberryRe: Retro Informercial Title Effect?
by on Jul 27, 2013 at 3:51:30 pm

Whoops, sorry Dave, I typed everything but forgot the link, here's the link I meant to attach:

-Benjamin Gadberry Productions

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Retro Informercial Title Effect?
by on Jul 27, 2013 at 5:01:46 pm

Benjamin -

The moving effect is called Gate Weave, a result of film moving through the camera. There was always a certain amount of movement, due to loose tolerances and wear and tear on the hardware.

Most film looks have this as an option - I use Red Giant MisFire:

I'm sure there are other film plugins which do the same thing. You could do it without a plugin, by just introducing a slight amount of side to side motion over time using the Wiggle settings. This tutorial could prove useful for constraining Wiggle to a single axis:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved