ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Awful video quality!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg howellAwful video quality!
by on Jul 26, 2013 at 6:24:03 pm

Hi all,

Im reposting this problem from yesterday. I want this solved so badly, i just dont understand why my video looks so bad. Can someone please please help me with this. I'm willing to pay someone a fair amount to solve this for me, i really desperate here..

------------------

Part of my video has crazy blocks of colour flickering on and off of the screen just after my green shatter effect in the animation. Just in case it doesnt appear like that to you, ive recorded it using a screen capture application.

heres is what i am seeing from my end (look at the purple background just after the green shatter effect)..

https://vimeo.com/71039502

and here is the original that i recorded it from (got to 1:00 min)..

https://vimeo.com/70968596

this is driving me crazy! - is someone able to explain whats happening to my video?, as ive used all of vimeos recommended settings. To make things stranger, i could look at it again in an hours time and it might look absolutely fine.

id really appreciate some help with this.

many thanks,

Greg

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Awful video quality!
by on Jul 26, 2013 at 9:56:41 pm

[greg howell] "and here is the original that i recorded it from (got to 1:00 min).."....

How did you record this: what's its media container & codec? What's the provenance of the original?

...and I'm not really certain why you're using AE at all for this task. It seems it could be done in an editing application.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

greg howellRe: Awful video quality!
by on Jul 27, 2013 at 12:01:40 am

Hi,

thanks for your reply!,

I built it in after effects, exported as a quicktime animation lossless .mov at best quality and 16 bit deptth per channel. I then took it into adobe media encoder and used vimeos recommended setting to export as a h.264 mp4 with 2pass VBR. I uploaded it to vimeo and now it looks awful. all that purple background was, was a colour change applied to a solid so that it would go from dark blue to purple just after the shatter effect.

Why would that simple colour change be so blocky??

thanks

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Awful video quality!
by on Jul 27, 2013 at 1:25:32 am

Did the movie that came out of AME look OK, and it just looks bad after uploading to Vimeo?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Jul 27, 2013 at 2:31:12 am

Hi Todd,

Yes after encoding via AME you can kind of see the same problem. i guess after its been encoded again by vimeo the problem is magnified. any thoughts?

thanks,

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Awful video quality!
by on Jul 27, 2013 at 8:27:57 pm

[greg howell] "I built it in after effects, exported as a quicktime animation lossless .mov at best quality and 16 bit deptth per channel. I then took it into adobe media encoder and used vimeos recommended setting to export as a h.264 mp4 with 2pass VBR."

Greg, for clarification are you referring to the 16-bit project setting in After Effects? The Animation codec is 8bpc, so your 16bpc project setting is not being utilized upon export.

The issue looks like macro-blocking, which tends to occur when bitrate is too low; the encoder discards detailed information about the background in order to meet the bitrate target. The other potential cause could be color translation from 8-bit RGB to 8-bit YCC.

Instead of creating a QT Animation file, use a Dynamic Link from After Effects to AME or Premiere Pro. If you need an uncompressed intermediate file use AVI/V210 or DPX+WAV with video depth set to 48-bit.

Second, try a high bitrate H.264 export setting:

- Level 5.0 (set this parameter first)
- Profile: High
- 1280x720
- 2-Pass VBR
- Target Bitrate: 168.75 (Max)
- Key Frame Distance: 7

The resulting file should be around 20mbps.

If the issue persists in either the exported file or the Vimeo transcode, try adding some grain/noise or make the background textured.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2013 at 8:48:53 am

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your help.

I tried your suggestion, but it still looks just as bad. I guess im going to have to cover my animation in a grain, and see if that helps. Im just really struggling to believe that with the most sophisticated software from adobe and hd video streaming these days, that wanting to transition from one colour to another over a couple of seconds is asking to much. I mean really? - i cant be the first person whos wanted to animate a colour change before. What would a massive design agency do? so frustrating.

thanks anyway,

Greg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]