ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Right way to import print artwork(ai) into aftereffects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kazumi HatoriRight way to import print artwork(ai) into aftereffects
by on Jul 26, 2013 at 10:07:04 am

I need to adapt some artwork from print to video,
i.e. putting a campaign's logo/artwork in video.

So, usually I receive artwork in ai, with CYMK color.

What I did before, is changed the ai from CYMK to RGB,
exported to PNG (to preserve transparency),
and import to AE.

But I find the color is not like what I/client expected, it cannot align with other output (i.e. print/web)

And now I find it's more like the real color with I import ai (in CMYK) directly into AE.
Yup, I know AE is not suppose to think in CYMK.

What's the right/usual procedure to adapt CYMK artwork to video?
So I can align color via VIDEO, WEB, PRINT...

p.s. - I work in Video era, know little about print.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Right way to import print artwork(ai) into aftereffects
by on Jul 26, 2013 at 1:25:11 pm

I tend to avoid giving much importance to this "keep colors consistency" "right way/wrong way". It's not that I don't give a crap with the client's branding. It's because after all of that you'll end up using effects, color corrections...things that will make your work look good, not mathematicaly accurate.

I usually ask for one good reference to the brand/logo. And then after all work is done I do one single correction to make the colors look what they would suppose to be.

I unfortunatly also don't know about print.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: ight way to import print artwork(ai) into aftereffects
by on Jul 26, 2013 at 2:20:05 pm

You can't assume that the colors are wrong because the blacks are not the same. Why? Because a computer monitor and a video monitor are not the same as a printed page. A printed page can be 100% black. But a monitor must be a little less black. Monitors still use 100% black to indicate an absence of any kind of signal to them.

You can't change the technology. You have to work within it. And use RGB no matter what your eyes tell you.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: ight way to import print artwork(ai) into aftereffects
by on Jul 26, 2013 at 6:37:30 pm

What Dave said. The client may not understand the fundamental difference between additive and subtractive color environments.

These can sometimes be the folks who ask you to "print" the video on paper for them, or are disappointed that the printed copy of screen captured video is so low. Print and video and completely different animals, and they cannot be expected to look "exactly" the same. We can make them "appear" the same.

When I have a client with this issue, I encourage them that it is time to establish video standards and style sheets for their logos and elements. If they give me the blank look at "style sheets" we have our answer!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved