ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Bizzare blocks of colour!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg howell
Bizzare blocks of colour!
on Jul 25, 2013 at 7:27:13 pm

Hi all,

Please, can anyone help me with this issue?

Part of my video has crazy blocks of colour flickering on and off of the screen just after my green shatter effect in the animation. Just in case it doesnt appear like that to you, ive recorded it using a screen capture application.

heres is what i am seeing from my end (look at the purple background just after the green shatter effect)..

https://vimeo.com/71039502

and here is the original that i recorded it from (got to 1:00 min)..

https://vimeo.com/70968596

this is driving me crazy! - is someone able to explain whats happening to my video?, as ive used all of vimeos recommended settings. To make things stranger, i could look at it again in an hours time and it might look absolutely fine.

id really appreciate some help with this.

many thanks,

Greg

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Bizzare blocks of colour!
on Jul 25, 2013 at 8:48:13 pm

It looks like a compression artefact - I see it in the reel too even if it's less obvious (I think you posted the links in reverse order to the text).
Try adding some noise in the background - it may be that you still have a gradient/vignette that shows a bit and that throws the compression off. Try compressing with a constant bit rate and upload- your video is re-converted anyway, but with CBR you may get a better chance of a clean final VBR compression from Vimeo or YouTube.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

greg howell
on Jul 25, 2013 at 9:08:03 pm

thanks Ted!, ill try that.

Return to posts index

greg howell
on Jul 26, 2013 at 3:14:40 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone else have any ideas? Ive tried Teds suggestion to upload a CBR but then this means im not able to use 2 pass VBR, which lowers the quality. Another thing worth mentioning is i have another animation that this sort of thing happens on too. Its the feathered part of spotlight on a green solid in 3d space. They both can look fine one moment then look awful and hour later. :(

thanks,

Greg

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jul 28, 2013 at 7:40:46 pm

Did you try adding noise on the blur?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

greg howell
on Jul 28, 2013 at 8:46:29 pm

Hi,

Noise doesn't help much, it just blends the noise with the blocks. Ive stripped the animation down so that all you have is a solid object changing from a dark blue to a mid purple over 2 seconds.. i still have the same problem!. you can try it yourself. fade from #242432 to #523C58 over 2secs and encode for vimeo - you should see the same thing.

thanks,

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jul 29, 2013 at 8:46:55 am

I had no issue with quality on a CBR H264 (4.2 Level and 50 mb/s). Uploaded that to Vimeo and I got similsr results to yours. It must be the Vimeo compression.

http://vimeo.com/71237542

Pass - "cowtest"

You may need a Vimeo Plus account to upload higher quality video.

YouTube seems to allow for a better result though:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

greg howell
on Jul 30, 2013 at 8:05:03 pm

thanks,

i spoke to adobe, and now i know how to fix.

you simply add a black layer beneath both colored objects (even though its not visible when rendering) - god knows why, but it works.

thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jul 31, 2013 at 6:45:36 am

Huh? That's one I would have never thought of... the strange ways of AE.

Thanks for sharing.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]