ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

paper oragami animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Malcolm DeSotopaper oragami animation
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 5:41:42 pm

I'm curious if there might be a way to achieve this folding paper style animation in AE.

It's just the last few seconds of this ad:

I think I could do it with some pretty tedious keyframe animation of individual layers, but I'm wondering if there might also be a more automated way to achieve this.

You'll notice that the folds also have shading and depth as they fold. Again, I could work this out with some tedious hand animation...thoughts?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: paper oragami animation
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 6:28:26 pm

Couple of products might be able to help you out with that, Mettle's FreeformPro or Zaxwerks 3D Warps

Here's a Cow Tutorial show 3D Warp in action: 3D Layer Warp

IF it was me, I would do that last animation in Cinema4D though. If you know any 3d software, it wouoldn't take much to put that together there.

ETA: I downloaded it from youtube and watching it frame by frame and it looks like the triangles were created in C4D and then used as alpha matte for the coat and textures in AE later(they aren't STUCK to the paper, but revealed by it). Very similiar to this technique on Greyscalegorrila

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Chris BobotisRe: paper oragami animation
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 6:53:54 pm

Thanks for the mention John.

This can be done with careful use of AE 3D layers. Here is a neat clip by one of our customers that uses both AE 3D layers to one folding ârt and another folding part is done by FreeForm Pro.

For a more complicated origami fold (paper airplane) with FreeForm Pro. See:

Also the cubes in the animation the following link are created from a single layer that uses FreeForm Pro to fold the flat layer into a cube and then replicated and animated the cube using the built-in Generator in FreeForm Pro. There is a free project file for this one on our site.

Return to posts index

Malcolm DeSotoRe: paper oragami animation
by on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:38:59 pm

Sweet, that looks like a handy plugin. I'll start playing around with that. I think I can get pretty close to what I want.

Return to posts index

Malcolm DeSotoRe: paper oragami animation
by on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:38:20 pm

Awesome! That's really helpful! I think I can work it out from here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved