ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

4% used of 24 GB RAM on HP workstation - need to speed process

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephanie Liskey
4% used of 24 GB RAM on HP workstation - need to speed process
on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:00:06 pm

I have an HP Workstation which I finally got in 2011, and generally has worked well. Here are the specs:

HP Z800 Workstation, Windows 7 Professional installed, 64 bit operating system, 24 GB RAM
Processor: Intel Xeon CPU E5645@ 240 GHz 2.40GHz
(I have a C drive programs run on, and a larger D drive with all my work)

I am guessing the issue is that my primary hard disk has a bad tranfer rate (not sure why they would do this on a workstation) Compared to Processor Ram, Graphics, the HD is "rated low".

Right now I am correcting Noise issues with HD footage, and it is agony to output. It has been a while since I have tried any options for exporting from AE to get to our old AVID machine - nothing worked (I think we are facing the problem that our AVID is too old for solutions to work with my new AE, so we are stuck with workarounds for now, since we can't afford upgrade)AVID has noise correction, but we don't have a powerful enough workstation to render it there.

So I export 3 minutes at a time as Quicktime, since that goes into Avid easier than uncompressed AVIs (too large for that long).

It takes 4 hours or crashes, and only uses 4% of RAM - I could understand %40 - but %4??? How can the transfer be that bad on a workstation?

I have scoured the web for options. Hoping someone knows a way to utilize more of my RAM!

Thanks,

Stephanie

Stephanie L

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: 4% used of 24 GB RAM on HP workstation - need to speed process
on Jul 24, 2013 at 5:10:30 pm

Silly question: Are your memory settings allowing more than 4GB?

Return to posts index

Stephanie Liskey
on Jul 24, 2013 at 5:27:08 pm

I would love to know how to set my memory for this. Update: I am now trying AE CC version, in case the latest helps, and also Neat Video Pro Plugin. Also wanted to add I have NVIDIA quadro 4000 Card. I have seen out here and other places on internet that exporting Noise correction is always intensive - but I just would like it to be less intensive than 4 hours for 3 minutes of HD footage.

I am not sure what to select for memory/Cache.

What I was about to try was RAM Reserved for other apps - 7 GB
Ram for AE: 17 GB (I read that some should be reserved, and feel I may as well get other work done while this happens, as I have noticed it takes the same time if I work or don't)

Should I enable Multiprocessing? I was trying it before, but I saw on here that for noise correction output, that could just hurt. I don't get it, but I am trying to optimize this process somehow.

Disk Cache - I have it set to 255 GB on the drive the program is on, rather than the drive the AE file is on, and outputting to that same drive (is it better to output to the drive the program is on, or the one the AE file is on?)

Thanks for input,

Stephanie

Stephanie L

Return to posts index

Stephanie Liskey
on Jul 24, 2013 at 7:07:09 pm

Update:
on my last render, I got AE to use %64 of my avail RAM! Much faster!!

I am thinking this is attibutable to using the Neat Video Noise reduction plugin (I believe it pre-renders the noise correction for AE, freeing up a lot of energy).

I also took it off multiprocessor. Any advice would still be welcome...I want to understand better how to control my RAM allocation.

Stephanie L

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jul 24, 2013 at 7:09:53 pm

If you have 17gb reserved for AE. It should be using all of that. If its only allocating 4gb you may have something wrong.

some noise effects are indeed slow to calculate, but it shouldn't be that much.

As to which hard drive to read/write/cache to: the fastest one you got, no matter whereas AE is there or not.

I have no clue about which effect/plugin you are using neither I know much about noise correcting workflow, but I'll suggest you try a different one.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 29, 2013 at 5:44:40 am

See this page for information about memory and improving performance in After Effects: http://adobe.ly/dC0MdR

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Stephanie Liskey
on Jul 29, 2013 at 11:32:25 am

Thanks for the response...I posted an update:

Update:
on my last render, I got AE to use %64 of my avail RAM! Much faster!!

I am thinking this is attibutable to using the Neat Video Noise reduction plugin (I believe it pre-renders the noise correction for AE, freeing up a lot of energy).

I also took it off multiprocessor. Any advice would still be welcome...I want to understand better how to control my RAM allocation.

I have since got it up to %75...functioning ok, but still crashes if I go over 5 min or so of footage. I wish it could handle more. I know a weakness of my sys is slow drives...

Thanks,

Stephanie

Stephanie L

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 29, 2013 at 8:03:38 pm

> I have since got it up to %75

How, exactly, are you judging this? Are you adding up the RAM usage in the Task Manager?

Also, as the resources that I linked to earlier say, forcing your computer to use 100% of your RAM for After Effects isn't the right way to think of making After Effects work faster.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]