ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Controlling blending behavior of transparent layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adhish Yajnik
Controlling blending behavior of transparent layers
on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:12:36 pm

I'm wondering how you can control the opacity of layers not to blend with one another, but to simply merge with one another or use the opacity level of the layer with the greater opacity on any intersection areas.

To clarify:

All four boxes are the color white. The two boxes in the top left are set to opacities of 50% and 20% respectively. The intersection area produces a value that is neither 50% nor 20%. The two boxes in the bottom right illustrate the effect I want to achieve. They use the Fill effect, but I'd rather the effect work with the opacity attribute if possible. Is there a blending mode or an effect I can apply to my layers so they'll behave this way?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Controlling blending behavior of transparent layers
on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:33:57 pm

Do you need something that's both white AND semi-transparent? Why not use opaque shades of gray?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adhish Yajnik
on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:49:31 am

Even so, once the opaque shade of gray becomes transparent through the course of the animation, it blends with its non-opaque neighbors.

I found a workaround that involved turning all my layers into 3D layers and just writing an expression that causes them to move behind the others 5 units on the Z axis once the position property starts animating the layer around. So I moved the fading boxes physically behind the opaque boxes to get that effect.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 24, 2013 at 4:16:00 am

[Adhish Yajnik] "They use the Fill effect, but I'd rather the effect work with the opacity attribute if possible. Is there a blending mode or an effect I can apply to my layers so they'll behave this way?"

I can't think of any way to do this. If it were me I'd use Levels to adjust the Output White of the layers and not mess with Opacity.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]