ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

There's a green object in my green screen!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katheryn Rupert
There's a green object in my green screen!
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:28:32 pm

I'm keying out green screen for a web series, which was cheaply shot, so the green screen is a mess to begin with. I've been able to use auto-trace, keylight and a couple of other tools (spill suppressor, simple choker, etc) in AE 6 to get the green out. Everything looks pretty good except that the main character is wearing, get this, a green leafy headband (think a holiday wreath on top of someone's head). Ahhhh! Anyone have any tricks to handling this problem?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
Re: There's a green object in my green screen!
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:43:06 pm

[Katheryn Rupert] "Anyone have any tricks to handling this problem?"

Mocha AE would be my first thought. Roto isn't fun by any means, but Mocha can take some of the pain out of it. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Doyle Lewis
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:47:34 pm

do you have a picture of the raw footage you can post, so we can see how close these greens are?

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Katheryn Rupert
on Jul 23, 2013 at 9:17:08 pm

Thanks, Shawn. I'm trying out Mocha now. I haven't used this tool before but looks awesome.

Doyle, here's a pic of the headband against the green screen. Whenever I do any keying with any other plugin in AE, the majority of the headband goes with it. Any ideas in addition to mocha?

screenshot2013-07-23at2.01.38pm.jpg

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:26:59 pm

If Mocha works, that's great. But if not, you might want to give Rotobrush a shot. It probably will be able to distingush between green and.... well, green. Depending on the nature of the shot(s), it might be best used on an additional layer only where it's needed and with a garbage mask.

If you've never used Rotobrush, it's not the most intuitive tool in the AE arsenal, so you'll want to read up on it and watch tutorials.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:10:18 am

You may have enough difference in the Green & Blue channels to create a decent matte from those.

I seemed to be able to get a decent matte by using these on a copy of the footage:

Channel > Invert
Color Correction > Channel Mixer
Monochrome, set Red-Red to 0, Red-Green and Red-Blue to something around 50

Color Correction > Levels
Adjust the input black and white levels so that the background screen is black and the foreground wreath is white.

You can then use this as a luma track matte for a copy of the original footage. Of course this process will be improved by using a garbage matte and doing some work on the edges of the resulting image.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Doyle Lewis
on Jul 24, 2013 at 12:36:06 pm

Yep what Darby suggested was how I was going to go about it.

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Katheryn Rupert
on Jul 26, 2013 at 3:24:23 am

Thanks Darby. I tried your suggestion, but something fell apart in the last step with the color correction levels. I couldn't get the foreground wreath to be white. I'll keep trying to finesse it, but maybe there's something else I'm missing from what you did. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 26, 2013 at 6:02:24 am

Can you describe the problem you're having or upload a photo? Did you make sure that Monochrome was checked in the Channel Mixer?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 26, 2013 at 5:40:35 pm

[Katheryn Rupert] "Thanks, Shawn. I'm trying out Mocha now. I haven't used this tool before but looks awesome."

Mocha is awesome! It's saved me more than a few times in the past. As Dave suggests, Roto Bush can also be pretty effective on footage like this. Both tools take a bit of patience up front, but you really can realize a huge time savings on the back end. Just out of curiosity, what camera was this shot on? Also, is it possible to see a full resolution frame?

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]