ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Curves Adjustment Corruption Issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon MatthewsCurves Adjustment Corruption Issue
by on Jul 23, 2013 at 4:20:22 pm

Hi, I have a layer with a curves effect with the blue channel set up very high. I created the project several days ago, and up until today I have had no issues with this layer, but on loading the project this afternoon, I was greeted by an unwanted yellow colour present on the layer with the curves effect. It seems to have just appeared. I've tried deleting the curves effect and starting with a fresh effect, but the same happens. I've also tried restarting, to no avail. I've attached a screenshot in which you can hopefully see the yellow colour I'm referring to. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Simon.

Return to posts index

Simon MatthewsRe: Curves Adjustment Corruption Issue
by on Jul 23, 2013 at 4:28:28 pm

Hey, I've just got the yellow colour to disappear by clicking on the pencil icon to the right of the Curves graph. Not sure what this is for but it did the trick?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Curves Adjustment Corruption Issue
by on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:50:46 pm

You currently have 3 points in your curve, you need to remove the one in the upper right and use only 2 points.

You're working in 32bpc and that last point causes your Blue channel to begin to invert at values near 1.0. If you use only the first 2 points it will allow the Blue value to properly increase well above 1.0.

If you need to clamp the values for some reason then I recommend using a Levels effect after the Curves with Clip To Output White turned On.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:58:17 pm

Thanks, I never noticed there were three points, there was only meant to be one but I must have inadvertently added them when adjusting. I'm getting old lol! The issue vanished when I clicked on the pencil icon to the right of the graph - I have no idea what the pencil icon is for, I just clicked on it to see what would happen and the issue corrected itself. If the issue comes back in future I'll know now to check how many point I have!

Thanks,

Simon.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:42:06 am

[Simon Matthews] "I have no idea what the pencil icon is for"

The pencil allows you to draw an arbitrary curve into the curve display area. It's not based on the same smooth curve algorithm as curves normally is. You could, for example, posterize the image by drawing flat lines at intervals across the curve display area.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Jul 24, 2013 at 7:11:22 am

Ok, thanks man :-)

Return to posts index

by on Jul 24, 2013 at 8:23:45 am

Hi, I think I spoke to soon. The issue has returned, but this time it arose when I added a completely new curves affect to a layer and only used a single point. For some reason though, the issue still vanishes when I click the pencil, but when I create a dynamic link to Premiere the issue is still present, even when it is not present in After Effects, which tells me something is not right. Please see screenshots below:

Initial curves screenshot with issue:

After clicking pencil icon:

Screenshot of issue still present in Premiere, even when not present in After Effects:

Any ideas what could be causing this undesirable effect?

Thanks,

Simon.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:35:25 pm

You added one point to the Curves. Curves has a minimum of 2 points. So adding one point makes 3 points. Don't add any points, just move the curve on the upper right to the left.

Also if that's all you're doing you might be happier with Levels and adjusting the Input White down below 1.0.

Switching to 16bpc may fix this problem, but if you were counting on pretty blooms and blurs then 16bpc will introduce a slew of new "problems."

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:49:32 pm

Thanks, I never realized I could've just dragged the point at the upper right.

I'm trying to increase the blueness of the parallel lines in the flare. Colour Balance may work as well. Not sure which one would be best? I had to click on Preserve Luminosity for Colour Balance to have any effect.

Yes, switching to 16 bpc did solve the problem. So far I haven't had any other adverse effects, though I notice some effects have an exclamation mark because they are meant to be used in 8 bpc.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:30:39 pm

I've changed to 16 bits per channel now and that seems to have done the trick :-)

Return to posts index

by on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:32:53 pm

PS. Thanks for pointing out that I was working in 32 bits per channel, I wouldn't have worked it out otherwise :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]