ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ray Trace Shading Error in Shadows

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Montgomery
Ray Trace Shading Error in Shadows
on Jul 22, 2013 at 6:31:00 pm

Hello!

I'm getting a strange hard edge in my comp where there should be a soft shadow. Basically my object has motion blur and cast shadows on. There is a shadow "only" layer catching the shadow. When the moblur and shadow are present together I am getting a hard edge to the shadow where there should not be one.

There are no edges present in any other layers that could be causing this and I've upped the raytrace quality to 15 with no success. The issue also doesn't appear until I do a final Best Quality render. Basically I am totally stumped. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Ray Trace Shading Error in Shadows
on Jul 22, 2013 at 6:57:57 pm

Without seeing anything it's hard to guess. From the description you seemed to have everything checked. Maybe try a point light other than a spot (if you aren't already), another light source angle.

Can you post a SS?

Return to posts index

Timothy Montgomery
on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:03:45 pm

Not the best screenshot ever, but it's all I can really show. You can see the moblurred/shadowed area and the hard line that is present.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jul 22, 2013 at 9:00:51 pm

is the catcher also with motion blur on? try to move it a few units forward. may be some clipping due to the movement (or put an adjustment layer right below the catcher).

Return to posts index

Timothy Montgomery
on Jul 23, 2013 at 2:28:15 pm

I would try all those other great ideas Cassius, but your lighting adjustment worked already.

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]